Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Little bird for bird watchers >

Little bird for bird watchers

Little bird for bird watchers

Old 05-04-2013, 04:30 AM

I think it is an Eastern Flycatcher. In my book, it is a huge nuisance as it makes it's very unstructured mud and weeds nests on very small surfaces, like a ledge or on top of a light fixture. Then it sits and calls a 4 note pattern over and over and over one note and another up, one note and another down. It then proceeds to challenge any other bird that want to nest in the whole area, like a Carolina wren couple or a Chipping Sparrow. He will hassle them until they give up and leave. I am a great bird watcher and sorry to say, but I hate this bird and he comes back year after year. This flycatcher is not a Phoebe, as he never says "phoebe", just the two note up and down. They will raise two broods every year and then depart.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

@ post #11, yooper32: Thanks for the input But the flycatcher is larger and has definite wing bars where this little one does not fit the description of the fly catcher. This little couple stay right on the edge of the woods and fly out to the yard to catch insects and don't seem to bother the seed eaters at all. I also have a pair of wrens who don't seem to be a bother to other birds either. Sorry you have a bad feeling towards these little birds.

peace
Old 05-04-2013, 06:23 AM

Love that photo. Am very much into old structure pictures. We have wrens returning to our bird houses. Love to hear their song.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Yes, it is that time of year--we have wrens nesting on our back porch, blue jays eating leftover biscuits from our picnic table, and two sets of cardinals fighting with our front porch windows and my new kitchen window. But we love them all--the cardinals are such a deep beautiful red. DH keeps a feeder out and we have every description of bird come visiting every day. The mocking birds don't use the feeder, but they do sit on the wire and sing for me when I am out in my sewing room. I love it.....
Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

Love the photo. We have a Humming bird feeder outside our front room window. And when it gets low (down to about 1/2 cup they actually will look through the window. I have tried getting a photo of them watching DH hook up the refill but then they fly away. They will even fly around him. He tried getting a photo and couldn't either. Btw would love to see your home. Just this photo seems very interesting. It's just my nature.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:40 AM

Perfect picture! Yes, it is a phoebe in the flycatcher family according to my birdbook. Look for a nest under the eaves of the building. Nest are made with mud mixed with straw, horse hair, thread, etc.; on the ground below the nest you might see small round balls of mud. Every year we have a couple who nest under our deck on top of a light. They raise 5 little ones - unless a lizzard destroyes their eggs. Love to have them around as they like to eat wasps.

Last edited by Bobbielinks; 05-05-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Aren't we lucky God gave us such beautiful creatures to look at and enjoy....
Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
Aren't we lucky God gave us such beautiful creatures to look at and enjoy....
Amen to that!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Thanks every one for sharing this conversation. I looked at the back of the shed and sure enough, small hole in the facia board and out popped a little Phoebe. I am so thrilled to be able to watch them now.

I learn so much from every one and am very thankful you all.

If anyone has other pictures of our beautiful spring arrivals I would love to see them.
thanks for sharing.
peace
Old 05-08-2013, 11:38 AM

Wink

oh its so cute and its like waiting for you to take a picture of him or her! I also have birds in my yard, I got food for them!