Any Bird Watchers Here?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I love wild birds! I have a nest house of baby bluebirds, this is thier second year here. They are so bright and cheerful!
Love hummingbirds, but havent seen any yet this year!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:07 AM

I love watching the birds, starting each early morning with my mockingbirds. But, I am 71 years old, and I have yet to see a bluebird. My little 5 year old GS told me he saw a blue bird, but his mommy told him it wasn"t any such thing. He gwave me a real good discription of it. Come to find out, it was a blackbird sitting in bright sun, so the feathers were blue looking!LOL
Old 05-17-2010, 07:11 AM

Kentucky doesn't have bluebirds? I didn't know that. Here in Illinois we see bluebirds....or at least some kind of bird that bright blue and isn't a blue jay.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I know the bluebirds seem to be in the country or on the outskirts of town...maybe thats why you havent seen any? My Dad built me some bluebird houses, he builds real houses so I knew the BB houses would be easy, LOL!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Kentucky doesn't have bluebirds? I didn't know that. Here in Illinois we see bluebirds....or at least some kind of bird that bright blue and isn't a blue jay.
Oh yeah, KY has them, I've just never seen one. Not much of a wooded area near my house, maybe that is why.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:20 AM

We bird watch a lot at the cabin and right now we have a finch couple who has decided that the hanging basket by my front door is a good location to build their nest! I have evicted them twice and they just rebuilt so I guess they are here to stay for now. I just don't want them dive bombing anyone who comes to the door once they have eggs or babies!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Pam

Our bluebirds stay here year round. We have about 26 bluebird nest boxes scattered around the farm, darn sparrows like them, too. I have seen hummingbirds, have a feeder out and the barn swallows are back and nesting.

The barn swallows are my favorite, they keep me company when I am mowing in the pasture, diving and dipping to catch the bugs. I need friends out there, it takes longer to mow 60 acres than you might think!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 AM

We have bluejays, robins, sparrows, cardinals, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, owls and believe it or not a bird called a cat bird!! He sounds like a cat when he chirps!! We also see hawks now and then circling around. Haven't seen too many bluejays yet, just a couple, but we have robin and cardinal nests here in our bushes.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Love to sit out on the patio & watch the birds in the backyard. We have sparrows out the wazzoo of all varieties, 2 couples of diff. variety of Orioles, Cardinals, Blue Jay's, Robins, Thrashers or Thrashes(?) Golden Finches, some kind of Finch with red head and throats, A Grosbeak with red throat & pesky Grackles. Oh & Hummingbords at their feeders already.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:04 AM

I simply love wild birds! Our hummingbirds were about a month late arriving this year. So far I have only seen six at one time. There are 3 pairs of Baltimore Orioles feeding at my hummingbird feeders and 1 red-bellied woodpecker that has decided he likes sugarwater. (This is the first time I have ever seen a woodpecker drinking sugarwater). We also have bluejays, eastern bluebirds, robins, tuffed tit mice, hairy woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, pileated woodpeckers. gold finches, house finches, crows, red-winged blackbirds, indigo buntings, painted buntings, bald eagles, red-tailed hawks, cardinals, red birds and wild turkeys. Probably others but I can't think of them now. I feed black oil sunflower seeds, sugarwater and suet, and we live in a wooded area next to a hay field so we get a great variety.