Any Bird Watchers Here?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 AM

We have chickadees, titmice, blue jays, sparrows, house finches, goldfinches, robins, cardinals, downey, hairy and red-bellied woodpeckers, cat birds, rose breasted grosbeaks, bats, hummingbirds (put the feeder out yesterday), we can hear the orioles in the woods, but don’t see them often, crows, grackles, starlings, an occasional cedar waxwing, bluebirds (rarely) and occasionally flickers.

DH and I love watching the birds. :D

Bobbielinks, you have a great variety of birds. We also see red tail and red shouldered hawks and a rare pileated woodpecker. I've never seen a red-bellied woodpecker try to get sugar water. That's got to be funny since they're a big bird! :lol:
Old 05-17-2010, 11:31 AM

I love the birds....have been feeding them for about 20 years. Amazing all the lovelies out there. Even get to enjoy the indigo buntings...they are shy; but so pretty to see, even if only short glimpses. Have a pair of crested flycatchers that have been coming back here the last 4 years. They are very unusual, so had to call a member of Audubon to identify them. Look forward to their easily identifiable call every year; and yes, they have arrived!! Haven't seen a hummingbird or Baltimore oriole yet, but have nectar and oranges out waiting for them. I make my own nectar and it seems to be more popular than the red mix you buy in the stores. Bring 1 cup sugar and 4 cups water to a boil, then remove and chill....all there is to it.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I love the blue buntings, too. The first time I saw one, I thought it was someones pet!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:41 PM

On my house I had blue birds boxes and they hatched twice every summer. I loved watching. sometime in November we had all the babies born that year come and hang around the yard for a few days before going away for the winter. Now we get nothing. I did see a cardinal not long ago but I guess he was lost, because I never saw it again.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Pam

The bluebirds here also lay 2 clutches of eggs per year. The ones from the first clutch help Mom and Dad feed the new babies!

We also have the indigo buntings, but they are down the driveway and we do not have windows facing that way, so I cannot see them from the house.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Pam, youre so lucky to have the bluebirds all year round! Here they leave in November, although last year I saw one in December, and come back in March! I always know Spring is near!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 AM

quilter7x, yes the red bellied woodpeckers are a big bird, that probably why I need to fill the hummingbird feeders everyday ... too much goes to the "big birds" or gets spilled on the grass when the woodpecker lits on the feeder. This year is the first time I've ever seen the woodpeckers at the humminbird feeders ... probably because I ran out of sunflower sees!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:42 AM

I live in 4 acres of woods, and we get all kinds of birds. Right now I have one crazy blue jay who constantly tries to commit suicide by dive bombing my big window. Yesterday there was a gorgeous yellow guy sitting on my window sill, pecking the window to get in! He drove my dogs wild! My fav is this red cardinal that sticks around.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Google Goddess

yes, I love to watch birds, (hummingbirds are so fun and I need to get a new feeder) I was looking out living room window the other day and there was a hummingbird around the wind chimes, so need to get a feeder