Love is patient

Old 03-22-2014, 01:24 PM

I watched my mother take care of my father even when it was so difficult for her. She had stopped driving a few years before he got sick but once he had to be in a nursing home 25 miles away, she got in that car and went every day. She was 82 at the time and we believe the Alzheimers was beginning at that time. After he passed in 2006 she was like a person who had lost their job. So sad to see her decline and now lives in assisted living because she has no short term memory at all. She still knows us and can find my phone number when she's upset about something. All she wants to do is go to heaven and see dad. They were married 62 yrs when he passed.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:04 PM

Alzheimer's is the cruelest disease. It robbed my mother of so many things. She forgot how to read and knit, her greatest pleasures. She recognized me and DH and her friends on the day she passed, thank goodness. Now my DH has dementia, and I'm already grieving a bit. I'm appreciating his good days and trying to be patient on the bad ones. I try to not think about the future, and to live one day at a time.