Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Low Protein diets: anyone else on one? >

Low Protein diets: anyone else on one?

Low Protein diets: anyone else on one?

Old 03-01-2011, 03:16 PM

I am on a low protein diet per my doctors and I was shocked at how much protein is in carbs too. Not sure if diabetic diets are low in proteins also? I have however lost 29 lbs in 6 weeks so not shooting it down. I can eat all the fruit and a lot of the veggies I like (minus tons of spinach as its loaded with protein sigh and I love spinach). Its the carbs such as one slice of bread 4-6 protein grams per slice(nix bread thanks) 1/4 cup rice or pasta 4-5 proteins that get me. I can only have 30 a day so I pick and chose carefully. Love to chat with anyone else who is on this same health plan. Its a life plan for me (yippee) now. I sure love my oranges and bananas now :) and cabbage salad too..
Old 03-01-2011, 03:25 PM

Oh I would love to learn more, have never heard of low protein. Is there a specific reason for this?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:39 PM

To each their own! Hope you get the long-term results you desire!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:44 PM

I'd starve!!! I like fruit and veggies but I'm a meat and potatoes/ pasta gal....

Good luck
Old 03-01-2011, 04:27 PM

I would also like to know more. I love my fruits and veggies, and find myself wanting less meats.

Patti
Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

Are your doctors okay with you losing that much weight so quickly??? Sounds like a lot to me.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 PM

I am on a low protein diet due to chronic kidney disease.

I've gotten where I don't even like meat anymore.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 PM

im the reverse.....i need alot of protien..i would pass out for sure!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 AM

I was told my entire system was having trouble (spleen, kidneys, liver, gall bladder etc) and I have a rare blood disorder which is why they said a low protein diet would be easier for my body to handle as it has to work very hard to digest proteins. The recommended protein grams per day is somewhere I think between 50-60 for the average person. The average American eats closer to 70-80 grams per day. Its easy to do as when you start checking out how much is in each and every thing we eat its astounding. I simply count my proteins per day not my calories. I eat about 5-6 pieces of fruit per day usually 1 banana and then apples/tangerines right now as they are in season and reasonable. One 1/3 cup granola and 1/3 cup milk for breakfast, salad usually for lunch with ranch more fruit or a yogurt as the day goes and a small protein serving dinner with unlimited veggies (ok not spinach darned it) but usually a salad serving is plenty with mushrooms and three/four cherry tomatos. Then if I am craving something else I eat a light yogurt for dessert. I was a size 18 now a size 14 with baggy waist and legs (phew). Wish my rear would go first but NOOO its all the weight in the face, then the arms, then ankles, neck, chest (that coulda stayed). I had never heard of a low protein diet before this. Everyone has those high protein diets which I never liked as I wasnt so much into the meats as the carbs I guess. And the word diet bugs me. I now don't have a choice all in all so diet it is. For me its now a way of life so maybe not a diet after all? kinda like being allergic to something you simply skip it. I imagine the weight will even out fairly soon as it was only 3 lbs in Feb. so definetly not flopping off like it was. If anyone has any good tips or food ideas to spice it up let me know. No cheese except parmasean or other dry cheese like that.. 2 oz of meat which next time you check out a steak look at how many oz it has and then mentally chop it to 2 oz. Its about 2-3 bites and not huge ones. So, recipe me away everyone. Remember tiny portion of pasta/rice compared to the veggies and what not.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 AM

I was in kidey failure for 4 years before I recieved a new kidney - and was on a low protien diet, low phorphours, low sodium ... I didn't eat much meat, dairy or good for you things like whole wheat... I did stay very thin even with white bread and starchy things... I ate a lot of the fruits & vege's that I was allowed to like apples & greenbeans. What's your creatinine level at now? What type of kidney disease do you have? PM me if you want to chat!!!