Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How low is too low for an unused Janome 6500? >

How low is too low for an unused Janome 6500?

How low is too low for an unused Janome 6500?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM

Default How low is too low for an unused Janome 6500?

So I found a Janome 6500 on Craigslist, it's supposedly 2 years old but never been used. It's listed for $500 obo so I emailed and said I could offer $350. She said she would take that amount. I was all excited to go see the machine tomorrow, but then my husband strongly cautioned me that this really sounded too good to be true, given that this model is is still selling for new for $1500, and suspects that either the machine is stolen or that there is something wrong with it. I emailed her back and asked why she was selling,and she said she is selling it for a friend/neighbor who has become ill and is now living at an assisted living facility. She said she is am just helping her out with this (which is why she asked me to bring thread and fabric).

What do you think? I would love to get this machine at such a great price, but absolutely don't want it if it's stolen. What would you do?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

Don't know where you are, but did you ad look like this one?http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/hsh/3232530054.html
Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM

I would more than likely go see it. There are a lot of people out there that buy the machines and are then intimated by them. If you have the address you would have nothing to lose by driving by - if you don't like what you see when you drive up, just keep going. Or leave your husband in the car and if you aren't out in a given time, he can call the police. I have 2 rather expensive machines, neither of my daughters sews. I have told them and my husband not to just give the machines away when I am unable to sew, not that I am planning anything, but people that don't sew have no idea. And they can give them to some one that will use it they know, but not just a Goodwill give-away. If you know what I mean. This lady may believe that if she get anything for it she will be ahead of the game.

A good clue if it is stolen whether or not if if she has the owners manual. If she is an older woman, I doubt that she would sell a stolen machine. The Janome needs to be threaded properly for it to sew well, all the more reason to make sure you have the manual.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 08-27-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:57 PM

I have seen ads like that in my area also. Never been used, in box, etc. Will she take a check? That would buy some time to find out the serial number and check with someone to see if it was stolen?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 PM

Deals like that aren't unheard of. Sometimes you just need to get rid of your stuff, whether it's a sewing machine or some other household item. I sold my 6600 on Craigslist at a very good price. I had upgraded to a 7700 and really just wanted the 6600 to go to a good home where it would be used. The person purchasing brought her husband with her, and my husband was at home with me. I demoed it for her and she took a turn at it and we were all very happy.

I'd use some caution as others have mentioned. I would not expect someone to take a check from you unless it's a bank check or is certified. If the machine works and you agree on a price, expect to pay cash.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 PM

I'd go and take someone with me
Write down the serial # ask where her "friend" bought it
the resell market for machines isn't that great and they may need the money
K
Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Jim

I am always cautious about Craigslist but have made 3 very good purchases from it and ALWAYS have someone with me ..even as a male you can't be too cautious. I got my beautiful featherweight from Craigslist ...took fabric, thread , extension cord and met at a market...found a plug and tried it out...got it for a great deal...just saturday I bought 4 2/3 yards of beautiful uphosltery fabric to make cushions for a patio set for 9 bucks ..it was originally 60 bucks a yards....the lady had the receipt to prove it...so check it out and if its works ..congrats on a good purchase
Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 PM

My great aunt passed away in February. We just closed on selling her house, we got a good price, but eould have sold for a LOT less to be done with everything. So it could be true. But, i wouldn't go by myself...just in case.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 PM

Deals like that are not at all that weird. "never been used" or not, it is considered a used item. I would jump on the deal!!

Last edited by Bluelady; 08-27-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 AM

Take someone with you and go check it out. If she is doing this as a favor, then you could be getting the deal of a lifetime.