Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LQS

I think it all depends on how expensive and complicated the machine is. Good care and maintenance preserves them and make them perform good.

I don't think that is ridiculous. A lot of people really don't know how to care for their machines and do a good cleaning.

Years ago had a Bernina Club session on this and found out that a lot of people really didn't know how to clean out well, and where to oil (in bobbin area only on most).

oops...double post...sorry!

Blog Entries
    that is a great price. but it probably just includes what one would find in an owners manual.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    that is a great price. but it probably just includes what one would find in an owners manual.
    Some learn by seeing.
    Some learn by hearing.
    Some learn by reading.

And some ... Learn to do by doing!!
    (OK 4-H'ers, this is where you jump in!!)

This could be a very valuable class, even to experienced sewers. Many are intimidated by the mechanical side of sewing!!!

My concern would be, how much does the instructor know about "all" machines that may turn up. And would I get valuable knowledge in this regard. Even if they sell machines, their knowledge may be limited to a particular brand and there are differences, from one brand to the other!

This class offering might instigate me to seek out my local dealer, and ask for a one-on-one, for a fee or for free.

There are lots of people that are new to sewing and sewing machines. They may not know the value of cleaning out the thread bunnies in their machine, oiling it if necessary, changing needles on a regular basis, not just when they break or had their machines long enough to be able to tell something is not quite right just by the sound of the machine. I would definitely be willing to get more information at this price if I did not know anything about machines.

mltquilt

I would sign up. $10 is nothing.

I would take it.

I have a very beginning machine and I am unsure how to clean it. I have brushed it out and oiled where I think it should go, but who knows.

I also have a 1903 treadle, that I took apart and forgot how to put back together. EEK!

Needless to say, someone to help take the guess work out of these things would make my sewing time more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter
    My LQS emailed me to let me know that they are offering a class for care and maintenance of DSM's- for $10.00. Does anyone else find this ridiculous?
    What's ridiculous about it?

I think it sounds like a good idea! Most of the 3 hour classes offered at the LQS I go to are $10 so the price seems fair enough. It could be that they have noticed people need some basic knowledge and this is their way of providing some assistance in that area.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast