Machine Embroidery Problem

Old 09-14-2016, 09:42 AM

You need to better stabilize the fabric...........I use a fusible very light weight cotton called "PRESTO" and fuse on the back of the fabric I am embroidering..............I then use a high quality stabilizer (read that FLORIANI) and I hoop both stabilizer and fabric. I use a heavy weight tear away or a medium cut away, depending on the project. Stabilizer that is too light for the dense satin stitches will cause your design to pucker.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by JudyBsquared View Post
Water soluble topping?? I just grabbed some stabilizer to practice. It's probably medium weight and it's iron-on but I didn't iron it. What do you call a good stabilizer? What I used is some that I bought by the yard at Joann. I am using embroidery thread. Does the needle make a difference? I'm using an 11 but wonder if I should put in a new one. And the top thread is showing pretty solid on the back. Can't figure out why.

Thanks for helping. Also, will I have trouble trying to embroider on denim?
Go to Embroidery Library for all sorts of help.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Suz

I am wondering if a hoop is necessary to hold everything tightly. Loading the project the opposite of the usual setup allowing the flat surface be next to the bed of the sewing machine may help. Just a thought.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
You need to better stabilize the fabric...........I use a fusible very light weight cotton called "PRESTO" and fuse on the back of the fabric I am embroidering..............I then use a high quality stabilizer (read that FLORIANI) and I hoop both stabilizer and fabric. I use a heavy weight tear away or a medium cut away, depending on the project. Stabilizer that is too light for the dense satin stitches will cause your design to pucker.
Floriani, Brother, Sulky and the other big names buy generic stabilizer, repackage it in small amounts and sell it for big $$. I buy my stabilizers by the roll from Allstitch.net, it's the exact same things as the packaged stuff but I get 3 times as much for the money I spend over buying it pre packaged. Wet n Gone and Aquamesh are two examples. Both of these products are just Vilene wash away. For what you pay for a small package of it Allstitch sells a 30yd roll. Floriani thread is also re packed thread from one of the companies that makes a no name thread. So don't let the big names fool you.

Cari
Old 09-20-2016, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JudyBsquared View Post
I'm trying to do some embroidery on placemats. When I do the name BOB with the satin stitch it won't lay flat, the fabric is "puckery." Will it be better if I loosen the tension or is that what satin stitch does on letters?
You say in another post that the back of your project shows mostly top thread so your tension is already a little loose. With a satin stitch it should show 1/3 top thread, 1/3 bottom thread, 1/3 top thread on the back, similar to a proper satin stitch in regular sewing. Are you using a programmed font in a sewing machine or an embroidery machine? You need to properly hoop and stabilize your fabric with either one. Too loose or too tight in the hoop will both cause puckers.

Cari