Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mackinac Island - summer vacation? >

Mackinac Island - summer vacation?

Mackinac Island - summer vacation?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 AM

We're trying to come up with a plan for a late summer vacation. The shore is sort of close but it is for thousands of other people, too! And to go hubby's mountains cabin - it's too buggy and there are some big ugly snakes in the woods!
For some reason Mackinac Island came to mind. Just read abit about it but can't tell you if it is Upper Michigan or is it Minnesota? Anyhow, anyone been there? Any help?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Mackinac Island is between lower and upper Michigan on the Lake Huron side. It's a very nice, quiet place. The only motor vehicles on the island are Police, Fire and Rescue vehicles. All other travel is by horse drawn carriage, bicycle or on foot. There is a golf course, small airport and many hotels on the island. There is also a number of sightseeing items, like an old fort, antique houses and the numerous fudge shops (to die for). It is definitely a step back into a much simpler time. I would recommend it highly.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Mackinac Island is between lower and upper Michigan on the Lake Huron side. It's a very nice, quiet place. The only motor vehicles on the island are Police, Fire and Rescue vehicles. All other travel is by horse drawn carriage, bicycle or on foot. There is a golf course, small airport and many hotels on the island. There is also a number of sightseeing items, like an old fort, antique houses and the numerous fudge shops (to die for). It is definitely a step back into a much simpler time. I would recommend it highly.
This is where hubby and I want to go with our daughter one summer! To live this simpler life must be so enriching these days!
Hugs
April
Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Pam

Here, here, I agree, I have been there many times. Back in the 1940's it was where all of the Hollywood elite vacationed. The Grand Hotel is still there, they even made a movie about the hotel. Enjoy! It is a wonderful place.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:53 PM

Beautiful place to visit. We RV'd in upper Michigan and took the speed boat over for the day. the Horse and buggy ride was the best way to see it all. To me, the sidewalks were very busy and full of tourist shops. I loved the back streets with all the little homes decorated with brightly colored hanging flower baskets. Some were used as Bed and Breakfasts. Hope you have a great time.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

It sounds heavenly. I would go for it.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:04 AM

Went there last July (the lilacs were JUST coming out) with two friends. Had a great time. The fudge is to die for, recommend the buggy ride all around the island, the butterfly habitat was nice, but way too crowded for enjoyment when we were there. The Fort is great, if you love history and don't mind walking. It is at the end of the tour, but you can do that separately. Ate at the Seabiscuit, and the movie plays continously there. Bicycles are everywhere, as no motor indicated by earlier post.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Banned

I went there for my honeymoon 10 years ago, as well as a few other trips over the years (I'm a native Michigander). If you go during the summer, do NOT go on a weekend, as it will be very crowded.

The main street is little fudge shops, and tourist stores -- you need to get away from that to really enjoy the island, IMHO. I highly recommend renting bikes and riding around the island -- there are a few different old graveyards on the island that are worth stopping and looking at the headstones, as well as some nice natural wonders kind of things.

You can rent a buggy, too, or go horse-riding. There's also a fort with re-enactments, and the Grand Hotel (you have to pay to get in, but we always just sneaked in when we went). And there's the aforementioned butterfly garden.

Personally, I think to really enjoy it, you need to stay at a B&B for one night -- it gives you time to explore the island at a leisurely pace, and some of the B&Bs are just gorgeous. I wouldn't stay at the Grand Hotel myself, as it's very expensive, and really not worth that cost.

Oh, and rent "Somewhere in Time" before you go -- it's a lushly romantic film that was filmed on the island. It stars Cristopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, and is really a lovely film, if rather schmaltzy ;) But it is fun to go around the island and see the spots that were in the movie; the island also gets a brisk trade from fans of the film, and you'll find the soundtrack and other memorabilia sold in a lot of the stores.