Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mailorder clothing catalogs for *very* petite older woman? >

Mailorder clothing catalogs for *very* petite older woman?

Mailorder clothing catalogs for *very* petite older woman?

Old 11-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

Default Mailorder clothing catalogs for *very* petite older woman?

My mil is 97 years young, about 4' 9" tall, and weighs 90 pounds. It's difficult for her to go out shopping these days, but she still likes to dress well. Children's fashions are not an option for her! Right now she's anxious to find both casual and dressy tops.

Anyway, I'm thinking of requesting some mailorder catalogs, but I don't want to inundate her with too many of them. She grew up during the depression, so I especially want to avoid catalogs where the clothing is very high-priced. I figure her home health assistant can package up returns for her and deliver them to UPS. She's never shopped for clothing via mailorder before, but I think this could be a good option for her.

I'm sure I can find lots of catalogs online, but I was wondering if someone out there knows of catalogs that cater specifically to petite women.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

May I suggest that you revisit the children's section idea again? Some of the things are very basic, such as cardigan sweaters, basic pants, etc. and don't have kiddy appliqués, especially in department stores. You could probably look on line for that. Something else you might want to consider is getting something close enough and having it altered, or finding something she likes and having someone make a few pieces from that garment. Good luck on your search. I hope you find some catalogs. Will be interested to see.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

There is absolutely no way my 97yo mil will shop in a children's mailorder catalog. She lives in a different part of the country, so I can't shop for her and bring things home for her to try on. In years past she used to have clothes altered for her, but these days it's hard for her to get out of the house and few people make home visits these days.

So far I have ordered a Blair catalog for her and a Talbot's catalog. Both seem to carry size 0P and 2P (4P seems to be too big), and mil likes Blair clothes -- just hasn't been able to find them in her size.

If anyone has other sources of 0P and 2P clothing for women, I'd love to find out about them!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

May I apologize for the suggestion? I'm sorry.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Oh, no need to apologize. You probably don't have a 97yo mil! If I lived closer, I'd shop in the children's section for her and not tell her where the clothes came from.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:44 PM

Land's End and Talbots. I buy Talbots when they have a sale. L.L. Bean is beginning to carry some petites.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Banned

My mom was 4'6" about 100 lbs. I ordered capri petite pants and small
tops from Womanwithin.com.

The capris was just the right length for her, and they have pretty nice
tops (at least I think so, as this is where I get most of my clothing).
Old 11-11-2013, 07:26 PM

My mnl is 88 and she is about the same size as yours.She shops here through their catalog: she is very happy with quality and price.

http://www.chadwicks.com/category/404502/petite
Old 11-12-2013, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
There is absolutely no way my 97yo mil will shop in a children's mailorder catalog. She lives in a different part of the country, so I can't shop for her and bring things home for her to try on. In years past she used to have clothes altered for her, but these days it's hard for her to get out of the house and few people make home visits these days.

So far I have ordered a Blair catalog for her and a Talbot's catalog. Both seem to carry size 0P and 2P (4P seems to be too big), and mil likes Blair clothes -- just hasn't been able to find them in her size.

If anyone has other sources of 0P and 2P clothing for women, I'd love to find out about them!
Blair clothing is usually generous in the sizing compared to retail stores. Just sayin' But check out their return policy. Maybe you can return items without paying the postage?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the Chadwicks link!!! Looks as if they have lots of choices in petite sizes, plus that is the type of styling mil likes. If the catalog is only petites, that may be the one she ends up ordering from.