Maine, Vermont Trip

Old 02-02-2017, 04:24 AM

Oreo1912, Z Fabrics is located at 477 Congress Street. It is on the corner of Congress and Preble, in fact, you can enter from either street entrance. It's not a huge shop but she has beautiful fabrics.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:06 AM

In Freeport, right on Rt 1 is Cottonweeds Quilt Shop.

If you are driving (which I assume you are), you will drive through New Hampshire. Keepsake Quilting in Center Harbor is well worth the trip.

Vermont Country Store has two locations: Rockingham and Weston. Both are awesome. Can be pricey, but there are items carried that no other store seems to carry. Unfortunately they don't carry fabric and the only quilts they have are "commerically produced". I actually purchased my dry iron from them...lasted about a year and then died. VCS offers lots of food samples: cheeses, fudge, cracker and cookies, dips...bring your appetite. The store in Weston has a restaurant next door. I have never gone to it, but have heard folks say it is very good.

Enjoy your trip! Any season here in New England can be awesome...Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall and Mud (yup, we have 5 seasons up here). In Maine, there are only 3 seasons: Almost winter, Winter, and Still winter! LOL
Old 02-02-2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
In Freeport, right on Rt 1 is Cottonweeds Quilt Shop.

If you are driving (which I assume you are), you will drive through New Hampshire. Keepsake Quilting in Center Harbor is well worth the trip.

Vermont Country Store has two locations: Rockingham and Weston. Both are awesome. Can be pricey, but there are items carried that no other store seems to carry. Unfortunately they don't carry fabric and the only quilts they have are "commerically produced". I actually purchased my dry iron from them...lasted about a year and then died. VCS offers lots of food samples: cheeses, fudge, cracker and cookies, dips...bring your appetite. The store in Weston has a restaurant next door. I have never gone to it, but have heard folks say it is very good.

Enjoy your trip! Any season here in New England can be awesome...Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall and Mud (yup, we have 5 seasons up here). In Maine, there are only 3 seasons: Almost winter, Winter, and Still winter! LOL
Nope, we have mud season too, that makes 4, lol
Old 02-02-2017, 10:14 PM

Thanks to all for the quilt shop info. I will check them out when I get to Maine. One thing Maine does not have is humidity. But they do have great lobstah and seafood. And ocean views, we have the Mississippi but it is not picturesque.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:42 AM

I would make a trip to Montpelier VT, the smallest capital city in the US - easy to walk around and the capitol building is also very historic (and small!)

Brookfield VT is not far from there and has a neat floating bridge.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by selm View Post
Somewhat north of Kittery where LLBean is although I'm sure just how far.
Have a wonderful trip.
LL Bean is not in Kittery, they are in Freeport about an hour north of Kittery. I suspect you have LL Bean confused with The Kittery Trading Post which also has a lot of outdoorsy type stuff.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-03-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:50 PM

I love Brattleboro, VT, in the southeast part of the state. It's a nice little town with lots of artists and crafters and it's right along a river. If you're in the area, a couple miles west of downtown is Solinglass where you can watch a woman make blown glass; it's really interesting and it's free. The one caveat is that everything I saw said it opened at 9AM, but it doesn't open until 10. About a mile east of Solinglass is the Grafton Village Cheese Company which is mostly a shop selling cheese, jams, hummus and the like, and they also have a little viewing area where you can watch them make cheese. Not as cool as glass blowing, but still pretty interesting. And right next door to that is the Retreat Farm where they have a barn with various animals that's fun to walk through (cost was just a few dollars, can't remember exactly). The three things above would make a good morning or afternoon, and then maybe half a day in town looking around (I'm not a big shopper/browser myself).

If you end up in Keene, NH, go to the Horatio Colony House/Museum. I won't be able to adequately describe why it was so interesting, but really, go. The woman giving the tour new everything about every single item in the house and painted a good picture of what it was like to live at various times in the past. I know you didn't mention NH, but since it's between Vermont and Maine I figured you might drive through it. Keene isn't quaint like Brattleboro, but it's an interesting place to visit, too.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:19 PM

The trip was great! Went to lots of places suggested here, picked up two Row By Row patterns near Bar Harbor and went to Two Mardens! Went with lights, blenders and a few novelty fabrics in mind and was not disappointed. Each of the stores had some of the same but the precuts/bundles were different. Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-23-2017 at 02:49 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 07-23-2017, 02:49 AM
Power Poster

sounds like you had a wonderful time.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Check out the new bakery at the Roost Cafe. It is awesome.