Memorial Day

Old 05-28-2016, 03:54 AM

Yes, Edie, I was trying to be PC. It's "...and when he gets to heaven, Saint Peter he will tell, another Marine reporting, Sir. I served my time in hell." There's a song and several poems with that line and variations.
M. Elizabeth -- I am so sorry for what your son and you and your whole family are having to endure. I don't want to go into all that has happened and is still happening with my son, it's, as you know, an open wound even after all of these years. Several years ago, I bought a Memorial Day poppy from a WWII vet. I thanked him for his service and he started to cry. He said there were still so many things he couldn't talk about even all those years later. This must have been in the 90s. I still think of him often. God Bless all of them.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:05 AM

thank you all for your service
Old 05-28-2016, 04:30 AM

My daughter has just completed her 25th year with the U.S.A. Army. One tour in Kosovo, and two tours in Iraq. I had the honor of making a memorial banner, listing the name of the soldiers killed during her tour. Probably the hardest thing I have ever done. Not the quilt, but listing name after name. GOD BLESS all our service people, past and present. and THANK YOU.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:09 AM

Am glad so many of you are thinking of the real meaning of Memorial Day. My husband is a Navy veteran and entered the US Navy right after graduation. We became engaged shortly thereafter and it was hard being apart so long. Back then there were no cell phones, IPads, etc and then even making a long distance call was almost unheard of. We wouldn't even think of going to visit them or I should say my parents wouldn't allow it. Anyway hubby was on an aircraft carrier and not in port much, so yes things were much different back then (in the 60s) but you know what - I'm glad I grew up in the generation I did. Anyway - I made my first quilt during this time. Just wanted to share this with you. Have a great weekend.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:11 AM

Thank you all for your comments and appreciation of our service men and women! To all of you with loved ones who have or are serving, please tell them from this Marine, "Semper Fi, job well done!"
Old 05-29-2016, 06:24 AM

My flags are out at both my homes. My family are not military people but we serve in every war. My DH has PTSD from Vietnam and my DB was there for four years, injured many times. If you ever get to DC, be sure and see the memorials they have for Vietnam and Korea.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:02 AM

Civil War - Great Great Grandfather PVT Thomas C Clary
Civil War - Great Grandfather PVT Thomas C Clary - his son
Grandfather William Clary - did not serve
WWII Father SGT William W Clary Jr
Vietnam Husband Bosoms Mate Paul A Bermijo
Afghanistan Grandson Lance Corporal Corey D Lucas

I think I have a grandfather in the Revolution, just haven't tracked him down yet, working on it. Memorial Day is a big deal in our house.