Men and Directions

Old 07-08-2016, 11:58 AM

My husband must have gotten the directional abilities of all of your husbands. I don't know how he does it, but we can be in a city we've never been in before, and he can always just somehow figure out how to get from point A to point B without a lot of extra looping around in between. Detour? No problem, he'll somehow come out exactly where we need to be. I tell him that's his super power. He thinks it's weird that other people don't just somehow "know" where to go.

Me? I am the exact opposite - I can get lost in a phone booth. If I go shopping and the parking lot has exits on two streets I am in big trouble if I don't pay close attention to how I got into the lot. If I exit on the wrong street I might as well be on Mars. Detours make my stomach clench and I get panicky. Even inside buildings, I always try to go the wrong way. I've been seeing the same doctor for 4 years now and I always get lost trying to find my way back out of there....and I'm there 5-6 times a year and it's not a big office. They laugh and guide me out, and it always feels like I'm headed exactly the wrong direction. My internal compass is upside-down, or something.

Thank goodness for navigation systems!!
Old 07-08-2016, 12:42 PM

Lost in a phone booth... that's wicked funny! I don't like detours either. I get panicky on one-way streets in strange cities. SDwill, your story was funny too. I have so enjoyed these messages.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:53 PM

Orangeroom, So he sends you in to fight the wild tigers while he hides? Isn't that just like a man. Just so you know, this week, my husband is still blaming his wrong turn on the Garmin. He's brought it up a couple of times and I know he wants me to agree with him, but I just pretend not to hear. I don't know about keeping the relationship happy, but I did learn a long time ago that learning to bite my tongue is the glue that holds the marriage together. LOL
Old 07-08-2016, 05:43 PM
mac

Oh, these are so funny. You all are making my day laugh filled.

My husband was a police officer and during his worktime he knew exactly where and how to get somewhere in the city really fast. However, when he was off duty, he didn't have a clue how to get somewhere in that same city. I used to think he was pulling my leg, but he finally explained to me that he had to compartmentalize his job so he wouldn't take the stress of the day home. I guess when he was off duty he left his maps in that compartment in his brain.

On the other hand, since I do most of the driving in my family now, my husband is totally amazed that we can go to a city that we have never been to, in a different state even, and I can somehow find a quilt shop without even trying or using a map or GPS. He said that I have "programed the car" to automatically find all of the quilt stores. Happy for me and I bless my hubby for being so patient waiting out in the car. He is an angel!