Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilt shops in Minneapolis Minnesota >

Quilt shops in Minneapolis Minnesota

Quilt shops in Minneapolis Minnesota

Old 07-07-2016, 03:03 AM

Default Quilt shops in Minneapolis Minnesota

I'm going to Minneapolis in august and would like to stop at a couple of quilt shops while I'm there. Which ones are the must see shops in that area?
Old 07-07-2016, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

I would check with Google to see what is out there. It is important to see what is close by and then hopefully some board member can tell you more details. Have fun!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Minn...w=1024&bih=622
Old 07-07-2016, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

here is a previous thread with some suggestions... i agree with the Quilt Cove in Eagan!
also, here is a link to worldwide quilt shops... you can search by state
http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...y-t279997.html
Old 07-07-2016, 02:23 PM

The Quilt Minnesota Shop Hop takes place on July 29th through August 14th. There is some excellent information on their site about quilt shops in the Minneapolis (Metro) area. There is also a downloadable map of the Metro area showing where the shops are located.

http://www.quiltminnesota.com/metro-region-m.htm

I live closest to Quilt Cove in Eagan and go there regularly. The 2 shops I would really like to visit again someday are Millie P's in Anoka and The Blue Bamboo in Plymouth.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

I haven't been to most of these shops for years, so hopefully my descriptions are up-to-date.

Glad Creations has been around for decades and is packed with a wide range of really wonderful fabrics. They also have lots of quilts for sale, notions and books. They are fairly close to the downtown area, although you would need a bus or cab. Although historically they have tended towards the traditional, they usually have lots of batiks.

Bear Patch is located in one of the northern suburbs. They tend to be very traditional in their fabrics.

Twin Cities Quilting in Roseville is closer to downtown than Bear Patch. This is a smaller shop geared towards modern quilt design and fabrics that lend themselves to modern quilts.

Not really a quilt shop, but a fabric shop that carries a *lot* of quilting fabrics is S. R. Harris. They have a huge warehouse (measure and cut-your-own fabric) that includes quilting fabrics and just about any other fabric you can imagine, including silks and home dec. The warehouse is located in a far north suburb, probably too far. What I would recommend, though, if you are fabric shopping is their new store in Burnsville (a southern suburb). They are more like a regular fabric shop in that they measure and cut your fabrics for you. Last year when I was there they had a large range of good quality batiks for $7/yd plus aisles of other cotton fabrics for quilting. Here is a link to their website:
http://srharrisfabric.com/
Old 07-07-2016, 08:28 PM

I concur with these recommendations! I love Millie P's, (in Anoka) and Bear Patch.(White Bear Lake) TCQ as Prism99 pointed out is really small, and leans modern. S.R. Harris is my heaven! It's the kind of place you could spend hours roaming the aisles. I've not been to the Burnsville location, but go to the Brooklyn Park location. Depending on where you'll be, none of these stores should be out of reach!
Old 07-08-2016, 02:53 AM

I don't know what is happening to quilt shops in St. Paul and Minneapolis. There is one fabric store, Treadle Yard Goods on Grand Avenue in St. Paul and that is the only one in St. Paul. Twin City Quilting is in Roseville which is a suburb (one block north of the City Limits on Larpenteur and Dionne. All of the Hancock's have closed, there is a JoAnn's in Roseville and one in White Bear Lake.

The ones in Minneapolis are so spread out (I found that out during the Shop Hop last year. Spent more time on a bus than the stores. And sorry to say, was a bit disappointed because they are mostly all the same.

I love Treadle even though it is a fabric shop and not a total quilt shop. I love the people there. They are really nice and know what they are talking about. They have beautiful batiks. That is a real go to place. I'll be heading over there in the next few days.

Enjoy your trip, I hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy our cities, mostly St. Paul. We are a tish smaller but a whole lot friendlier!!!!! I THINK!!!!!!!! I am too old to drive to all the other outlying stores in the Minneapolis end of the Twin Cities, besides which for sure I would get lost! And my GPS is filled up!!!!!! Edie
Old 07-08-2016, 03:34 AM

Thank you every one for all the good ideas on how to plan this. Some very helpful ideas. It has helped more then you will ever know.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:49 AM

Eagle Creek Quilt Shop in Shakopee is a great shop, on the southwest corner of the metro area, a good place to stop on the way into the area. It's charming - in an old train depot. The employees are very helpful and they carry a wide variety of fabrics.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:49 PM

I am glad you asked this question grandmahoney. My late husband and I moved to the 'Cities' in 1974 but it's only been the last few years that I have enjoyed visiting true quilt shops. I have been to The Quilt Cove and SR Harris. I am fortunate because I get fabric through my volunteer groups so box craft/fabric stores have been enough for me to get basic supplies.. .

Connie