Meniscal Tear Surgery

Old 02-12-2011, 12:05 AM

I had a meniscus repair 5 years ago. i had my sewing machine set up downstairs so I could sew while off work. I couldn't drive for about a week and was supposed to avoid stairs( not easy since we live in a two story house). Honestly if I had known how easy it was to get rid of the pain I would have had it done sooner(I thought it was arthritis)i missed about 3 weeks work, then went back on a limited schedule. If i had a desk job it would have been 2-3 days but my job requires constant standing/walking so I eased back into it. Have a great boss that let me set my own pace.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:19 AM

I got injuried in 2008 and L&I approved surgery in 2009 because the knee was still so painful and swollen. Before surgery it was difficult to walk. After the surgery I was worse than ever because it is bone on bone. I could not walk for more than 20 minutes , standing was impossible, and stairs were a no go! After surgery/recovery time, I ended up going to a pain clinic/ physical therapy rehab for two months of intense physical therapy (tears daily). I finally am more mobile but the pain is still extremely high. I am on etodalac (anti inflammatory) which helps a TON.

I am only in my early 40's and I feel like I am 80. I really wished that I would not have had surgery.

I was not able to go back to my job and have major restrictions on what I can do now. It also hinders my sewing and driving.

I have heard a zillion stories of people with the tear having surgery and then they are fine. I am in the minority that get worse.

Good luck. Prayers will be sent your way.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:37 AM

I can't help you out but I am very sorry you need to have the surgery. May you have a quick recovery.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:52 AM

My daughter is home right now recovering from this which she had on Thursday afternoon. Today (Saturday)she walked about 1/2 a mile in the city without a limp or crutches or any walking aid. She walked out of the hospital at 7pm after having it done at 3pm. She is resting it most of the time but does her exercises as prescribed by the physio. She has only had to take panadol once since the operation.
I think you'll be fine as you are young too. Just do as your medical advisers tell you.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:02 AM

I just thought of something important. Don't put a pillow beneath your knee. I doesn't help those muscles stay straight and can cause you problems in the long run. It was something I did that was not good.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer
I just thought of something important. Don't put a pillow beneath your knee. I doesn't help those muscles stay straight and can cause you problems in the long run. It was something I did that was not good.
I did this 3 years ago with the first surgery. Not good. My knee froze up and I could not bend or straighten it!!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 AM

I am having this Surgery March 11. I tore the meniscus and a cyst formed. They are removing the cyst then looking to see how bad the tear is. I am told this is easy peasy, simple and back on my feet in no time. But i am with you, it is my right leg how long before I can drive or sew? Or go up the stairs.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Let's be honest here. It's just a couple of holes (most of the time) but it is still surgery. There are different degrees of injury when you tear your meniscal, some worse than others. Just listen to your doctor and do what he says. You can't push it or you will cause yourself setbacks.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks everyone. I didn't think it was too bad of a surgery, but I wasn't quite sure. Now, if I can have the surgery and be recovered by May 21. I'm a bridesmaid in my brother's wedding, and I have a 1" heel to wear. My dress is long, so if I need to wear a brace it won't be bad.
I hope I'm not wishful thinking. :)
Old 02-12-2011, 03:26 PM

It is not a bad surgery, fairly easy stuff! Only used the crutches first day, no brace on mine. You will be fine for the wedding, except for maybe the shoes. You may want to find some flat sandals to wear instead. I had the surgery done in May last year and had the hardest time wearing even low heels for a wedding in July. It's because of the angle of how you stand. I was fine in flats but even my low heels made it miserable.
I have my first grandbaby due about 4 weeks after my surgery this April. I am confident that I will be able to walk but not sure how much I can spend on my feet. This time I will lose 100% of the Meniscus. It is my right knee, it was this same knee last May. My recovery may be slightly longer this time because of how much more they have to clean up and because it is 2 surgeries so close together.