Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ultimate Quilt Pounce vs. tear away >

Ultimate Quilt Pounce vs. tear away

Ultimate Quilt Pounce vs. tear away

Old 05-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Has anyone used the Ultimate Quilt Pounce Pad and stencil? I am wondering if it really does come off when ironing. I am going to try stipple quilting for the first time and trying to decide between that and the tear away patterns. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks
Anna
Old 05-05-2009, 04:22 PM

I have that pounce pad. I have only tried it a couple of times. The problem I had is that I could not see the chalk on my quilt. Maybe I wasn't getting enough on the quilt or something, but it was very frustrating that I could not find the marks when I was sewing. I didn't have any trouble getting the marks off, especially since I couldn't see half of them, I just used a clean slightly damp towel and wiped it off.
Not sure I was any help, would love to see what others think of the stuff. So far I am not impressed!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Banned

i absolutely love it!!

i use it whenever i'm working with quilting stencils.

i think the other poster might have had a problem since the product pad was still new.

i find it works best after the quilt pad is broken in a bit. i had the same problem when i first got the pad.

then i just took a hair brush and brush the pad to loosen the fibers and i haven't had a problem since.

when i use the white chalk i just remove it with a hot iron and when i use the blue chalk you have to rinse it away (the hot iron doesn't work on the blue chalk).

i give the product 5 stars and i wouldn't want to quilt without it.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:49 PM

I didn't have any luck with the pounce pad I had, so finally gave it away. I found it so frustrating because I was trying to quilt by hand and it just would not stay on the fabric. And when I tried it on batiks....just blew off the fabric.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

I love my pounce pad. The ultimate chalk does iron off. I also got some blue chalk to mark light colored fabric. The trick is to make sure the pounce pad is FULL of chalk.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Thanks everyone, I apprecate the comments.

Littlehud, did you iron the blue off or did it have to be removed with a rag and water?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

The blue was not ultimate pounce powder so it needed to be washed off.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 PM

we just picked this up at the quilt show in Chicago. i'm excited to use mine. it was amazing how easy it is to iron off in the demonstration. i'll need to get another one for the blue powder eventually for light fabrics. in the meantime, i'm stocking up on stencils! the full-line stencils look great, too! a little pricey, but they look like they'll last forever!
Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 AM

I only have the original not the iron off but I always wash my quilts when they are finished so no problem.
I found that if I take a damp wash rag and rub it over the area before I pounce it takes the chalk better. I do this all the time now.
I still prefer the dissapearing ink but you can only do a small amt at a time as it is gone quickly. So I only mark what I am going to sew at that sitting.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:32 AM

I could never get my pounce pad to actually "work". On a quilting show was Marilyn Badger and she uses the Pounce chalk but with a sponge brush instead of the pad. She put the chalk in a bowl, dipped the DRY sponge brush and brushed it over her stencil. That method works very well for me!

The sponge brushes you can get at Wal-Mart in the paint section. You can get a large bag of them for a small price. GREAT!