Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need to purchase a new Iron for Quilting/Sewing?

My Rowenta Professional had a major accident (3 active dogs+ Iron cord= a really dead iron). I was thinking of purchasing another Rowenta but was wondering what others use and get some suggestions before I go spend another $100 plus.

thanks
    Lisa

I am on my 3rd Rowenta. And this one is about a year old and it's having issues... I don't think I'll buy another! :?

I have a Black & Decker Digital Advantage - no complaints & would buy again.

Piedmont Quilter

Oreck has thier cordless iron %50 off. But I have never tried their irons before. I have the shampooer and Vacuum they are nice.

Blog Entries
    My Rowenta fell on a cement floor. DH glued and duct-taped it back together again for me. :-) I think I've had it 10 years or more and it's still going strong. Mine is not the type with a removeable water reservoir; I've heard those leak.

Over the years I have found Rowenta's at Goodwill for $5 and purchased them as I find them. I now have a couple of spares in case mine ever gives out.

I purchased the Rowenta pink iron (profits go to breast cancer) in March of 2008. I loved the iron, but it started having problems within a few months. The auto-off feature would engage even when the iron was in motion, and it was hard to get the iron to come back on. I sent the iron in for repairs under warranty. There are only 2 Rowenta repair shops, one on the west coast and one on the east coast. I live in Oregon, so it went to the repair shop in California. Well, long story short, they lost my iron, claimed they never received it, finally found it after receiving proof of delivery from Fedex, promised to have a new iron sent right away (but delayed to do so for another 2 weeks), were rude to me on the phone, promised to call back on several occasion (and didn't). It took over 2 months for me to get the new iron. Fortunately I still had my very old Sunbeam to use in the interim.

Now I'm using the replacement iron, and I love it, but if and when it stops working I will NEVER purchase another iron from Rowenta. I also sent them a detailed letter about the dismal service I received from their repair shop, and all I received was a "so sorry" email.

I have noticed that Costco occasionally has Rowenta irons, and their return policy is wonderful. I wish I had bought the iron from them.

I bought an Oliso iron. I love it. The first one the thermostat went out. I contacted Oliso, talked to a representative, told her what the problem was, she said to send it back with the receipt and they would send me another. I told her I had lost the receipt, she said no problem just send the iron back, attention to her and they would send me another. A week later, I had the replacement iron. I highly recommend Oliso.

Blog Entries
    Rowenta was bought out by another company and the quality of the irons aren't like they use to be. I read that in Quilter's Home magazine. I bought the Black and Decker Classic for steam but found the best iron at Home Depot. It does not steam thus no holes in the sole plate! I bought two, one for a back up. I know if I find a tool that actually works great, it gets discontinued.

Continental Platinum Classic Dry Iron

Model CP43001

$26.99/Each

My Rowenta Pro is about four years old now and you have me scared. I used to go through an iron every year, usually ending in boiling water splashing all over me. The auto-clean feature on the Pro slved that issue completely. I'll be watching to see if there are more affordable options out there.

I have a plain old Black and Decker. It has served me well. I like it.

I have had a few Rowenta's with nothing but problems. I to am looking for a GOOD quilting iron. :idea:

I have a Proctor Silex that my DD got me cause I complained my old one was always shutting off on me just when I needed i it and it likes to spit on me or "drool" on my material!
    The Proctor is a steamer but doesn't get RUDE and DOESN"T shut off till I turn it off!!
    I think it is great!!

Oreck has thier cordless iron %50 off.
    I got a free Oreck cordless iron when I bought my vacuum cleaner. Love the vacuum cleaner but am really glad I didn't have to pay for the iron. It worked for a month and quit.

I recently bought a new sewing maching (Juki) from AllBrands and was very pleased with their service. They have awesome prices and I get a coupon code from them every month. Here's the link to their irons.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abc0349.html

Enter any of the following coupon codes during checkout:

$5 off any purchase of $25 or more: april5
    $10 off any purchase of $199 or more: april10
    $25 off any purchase of $499 or more: april25
    $50 off any purchase of $999 or more: april50
    $100 off any purchase of $1999 or more: april100
    $150 off any purchase of $2999 or more: april150
    $250 off any purchase of $4999 or more: april250
    $500 off any purchase of $9999 or more: april500

*coupon codes expire April 16th, 2009. online orders only, valid on select items

I have an Oliso. I used one at a class I attended making bias strips and just loved it. I purchased mine on sale at Fabric Depot. :-)

Blog Entries
    My rowena went bad also and I would not buy another one....some quilters have great luck with the $10 ones, that may be the way I'll go. Now using old black and decker LOL

Here's a great topic from a few months ago -

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/45/15433.page

I buy all my irons from goodwill...Right now I have a GE with all the bells and whistles, I love it :D

I have a cheap one that hubby bought for me for $10. Works great!

I have a very cheap 7.00 iron from Walmart that I use to iron my fabrics after washing.
    for piece work I love the Rowenta travel iron. No problems with stretching and it is so lightweight to handle. The only bad part is refilling the water so often cause it is so small.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    My Rowenta fell on a cement floor. DH glued and duct-taped it back together again for me. :-) I think I've had it 10 years or more and it's still going strong. Mine is not the type with a removeable water reservoir; I've heard those leak.

Over the years I have found Rowenta's at Goodwill for $5 and purchased them as I find them. I now have a couple of spares in case mine ever gives out.
    I always look for irons at Goodwills and consignment stores. Haven't been as lucky as you have! My Sunbeam is several years old, heavy enough and a real workhorse. I bought it at Costco. It turns itself off automatically. I know other quilters don't like that, but I do. My husband does, too, because otherwise I'd forget!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Joanne, I like the turn off feature too, but those irons never get as hot as the other kind. Or is that my imagination?
    Mine gets hot enough - I usually have it set on 'linen' when I'm quilting. I don't use steam when I'm pressing patchwork. I don't want to take a chance on a spitting iron, even though my Sunbeam hasn't done that. Past irons have, and it always happened at the wrong time, of course! I use spray sizing, because the stiffness makes piecing SO much easier. If I get wrinkles, it helps get rid of them. When I'm pressing prewashed yardage, I use spray bottles - the ones I get in six-packs at Costco.

I had several irons with all the bells and whistle....then I had to find another that would suit my piecing and pressing....stopped in wal-mart and there it was..the Black and Decker 'Classic"..I actually like this one better than all those expensive ones..cost..I think , about 15.00. Love it!!

I have a GE Auto Shut-Off Lightweight iron with an extra-long cord that I got second hand from a fabric store that was replacing their irons.. had 2 of them and gave one to my niece...let's see, that was about 8 years ago.. it's still going strong and I love it.. I especially like the extra-long cord.

I have a Black & Decker , it is about 25 years old. It was the cheepest one I could find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast