Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: To purchase or not to purchase?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries

To purchase or not to purchase?

Has anyone ever purchased or used the Sidewinder bobbin threader? Nancy's Notions has one in her recent catalog on sale. I have been thinking about getting one. Would like to know the pro's and con's. I don't want to spend the money and then find out that it doesn't work as advertised. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

I bought one a long time ago. It is sitting in the box on a shelf. Have rarely used it.

I love mine and use it all the time.

Yes, yes, and yes! I love it.
    Quilting is definitely not for the faint of heart.

I purchased mine about 7 years ago. I use it only to wind my bobbins when I long-arm. The one that came with the machine was hard to wind....so someone suggested using the side winder. I love it for that purpose and it's still winding after 7 years. Find it on sale and you'll be happy. I think I paid about $20.00 for it back then.

I bought mine about five years ago and then bought one for my sister. I love it. I can sit in front of the TV and fill bobbins and I don't have to fiddle with my machine if I need a bobbin in the middle of something.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I have one and liked using it. But I remember someone saying it is not for all machines. I have used it for my Singer 15-91 and my Janome MC6600P. I have not tried it for my Viking or my FW. I am sure it would work for the FW, I just haven't tried it.

I love mine. I bought with a 50% off coupon at Joann's. Pro - convenient to use. Con - doesn't fill my bobbins all the way.

I had one gifted to me but, I didn't like it at all. Went to the thrift shop.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Like mine a lot I took the top off and put a heavy weight inside on the bottom. Lots of room in there. It isn't top heavy and top over like it use to. There is a tension control knob on it.
    I love my life!

I had one and although a good idea, the bobbins were a mess (uneven, loose, etc). I sold it on eBay after it sat in my closet for a few years. I wouldn't waste your money.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all. It's on sale for $19.99. think I'll go for it. I have no problem returning something if it doesn't work. Appreciate all your help. Hugs BrendaK
    Last edited by BrendaK; 11-11-2016 at 12:50 PM.
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bungalow59 View Post
    I had one and although a good idea, the bobbins were a mess (uneven, loose, etc). I sold it on eBay after it sat in my closet for a few years. I wouldn't waste your money.
    My first few bobbins were that way too until I figured out the tension knob. Bobbins now wind even and full. I use a thread stand to fill from a cone.
    I love my life!

Blog Entries
    I bought one years ago and it worked for the machine I had at the time, but the Pfaff I have now does not fit the pin. Maybe they've upgraded it.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I've had one for years-got it when they first came out. Love it! Batteries last a long time, too. It comes with a cord but i only use batteries because I am short on outlets where I sew.

I have one, and I used it for awhile. Then I decided it was just as easy to stick with my machine. I have a Pfaff and the instructions for it didn't wind the bobbin correctly. Somehow I remember that it did the bobbin backwards. Once If figured that out, I was able to turn my bobbin over and it worked fine. Just more trouble than using my machine.

My sister uses one all the time to wind her long arm bobbins. That's sort of why I bought one. I was new to quilting and she was very pleased with hers. So I thought I should have one.

Dina

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    I bought one when they first came out. It did not wind the bobbins evenly, so I just put it away. Maybe I should try it again, as I see some of you like it.
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

Blog Entries
    I've had one for many years, comes in handy once in a while. Bought one for my mom too, she used to have to come to my house and wind bobbins- not always convenient- so she was happy to have one. I don't use it all the time but it has served me well when I needed it
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I like it. I will fill about 20 bobbins at a time when doing a quilt while watching tv. I don't use it when I need a single color of thread for a small project, but for a quilt it really comes in handy for me.

I have had one since the day they came out and I love it. I use it quite often, especially if I'm using one of my older machines. A friend bought one too but her Singer bobbins would not wind. Check first to see if yours fit.

Blog Entries
    When I was still using my mid-arm, I used it all the time to wind my bobbins, and it did a good job.

I wore mine out. I am definitely going to get another one.

I have one. I don't use it a lot, but it really helps when I need a bobbin done, even for my long arm machine. So I think it was worth it to buy.
    Jeanie

It does not work with the Touch and Sew bobbins, as they do not have a hole in the middle.

bkay

Our guild has a permanent work room for our charity quilt assembly sessions. There are about 6 sewing machines in the room, and the bobbins are filled on a Sidewinder. What that means is that people who are new to a particular machine don't have to stop their work and figure out how to wind a bobbin on that machine. We use a beige thread for almost all of the sewing, which means that the bobbins can all be done alike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast