Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues >

Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues

Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues

Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 PM

Hi all... this ever happen to you?
1. This Rowena iron is 1 year old, 1700 watts, press/steam, stainless steel sole, iron. It's heavy enough to press well, versitile enough to iron well. I haven't used it a whole lot yet.

2. I use tap water in it... the directions specifically stated NOT to use distilled water (why, I don't have a clue).

3. I drain it when I'm not going to use it for several weeks. And only fill it when the iron is cool.

Issue: My sewing room is finally back together after having been 'packed up' for renovations. I filled my cold iron, not quite up to the 'full' fill line. It sat there fine. I turned it on, heated it up. Then I picked it up, rotated it to horizontal and started to press. All of a sudden I had about 1/2 cup of water all over my table, ironing pad, fabric... it keeps happening.

If the iron is only about 1/2 full or less, it doesn't seem to do it as much, although it will still spot and throw water out on occasion.

Have I somehow cracked a seal in it? I checked the 'steam on demand' switch and it was not stuck 'on' or malfunctioning in any way. I can't quite figure out where the water is coming from, but it seems as if it's coming from around the edges of the sole plate (where it's attached to the plastic iron body. Some water comes out of the holes in the sole, but I think it's supposed to do that.

Tomorrow, I'll do a self clean.. purge whatever water is still in it then try again. I don't have any gunk built up on the sole plate - it's clean. Not sure what else to try.

Ideas? Fixes? Options? This ever happen to you and if so, how did you solve it?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:08 PM

all three of the rowenta irons that i have owned have leaked i will never buy one again
Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 PM

I threw out my last rowena becaues of drips/leaking. i bought a cheap (less than $50.00) Black and Decker Iron and love it.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Power Poster

Same here. I will never buy another Rowenta. Give me a cheapo anyday!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:33 PM

My last Rowenta Focus started leaking. Looking back, I think I filled this one with filtered water from the tap once. I emailed the Co. and they responded with nothing could be done "at home". I think I may experiment and crack open this iron sometime and see what this seal looks like and if it is fixable (I do not recommend this for anyone else to do-this is my "spare"). I looked at and bought one less than $30 (can't remember the brand) and hated it!-it was the only stainless sole plate at WM. Back it went. I have always liked Rowenta and bought another and have had this one several months. This is the only brand that has enough steam for me. I don't know how long it will go without leaking, but you never know. I've had one that lasted years.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:34 PM

Ah.. interesting. I had thought the Rowenas were a step UP from the B&D's! Actually, I have my old iron... that I've had for let's see... for literally 23 years before the auto off switch went haywire and started shutting off the iron every couple minutes or so... even as you're using it. Hum...

I'm stuck with the Rowena for a while, I think. Maybe if I just only fill it half way or something.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by plainjane
My last Rowenta Focus started leaking.
1. I think I may experiment and crack open this iron sometime and see what this seal looks like and if it is fixable
2. I have always liked Rowenta, This is the only brand that has enough steam for me. I don't know how long it will go without leaking, but you never know. I've had one that lasted years.
1. I'm considering cracking my new Rowena anyways. My DH and his dad are both super "McGuivers" (aka engineery technitians, wrenches, geeks, etc.) If anyone can fix it, they could... I'd just like to know what mechanical part/seal/gasket etc.; it is ... first.

2. I must say, the steam on this Rowena is enough to fog a whole room. Way more than what I had before. lol. Which made it so much easier to set and press those pesky 1/4" seams! Ah well...
Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 PM

Oh! Also... I have since found out that the SUNBEAM Professional iron (the expensive one, SS sole, etc) got great reviews from the ladies at the Maine quilt shop I love. That's what they use there, in fact.

Just in case, anyone's interested.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:43 PM

I'm always interested! Thanks!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 PM

I have owned the same one for approx. 15 yrs now without any problems and I love it. It works wonderful on clothing and quilting projects. It would be very hard to think about going back to a lightweight iron that doesn't put out the steam I need. I hate to hear that you are having problems with yours. Good luck getting these issues resloved.