Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues

Omg. Irons irons irons. It is a standing joke at our house that when I'm ironing on Sunday mornings ( 2am Ish cuz we work 3rd) that is when they die. My last 3 died at this time. I will never pay more than $10 for an iron again. I have spent lots of money thinking you get what you pay for. So NOT true with irons. My current one was $7 from Walmart. Works like a charm n no auto shutoff. I don't like the auto off

I have a T-Fal from the thrift store that I paid $5.99 for. It has an extra long cord, and just about burns my fingers off when you use it!

I've never been tempted by a Rowenta, and after reading everything here, I think I will stick to my cheapo thrift store irons...

Banned
    Write the company The company says their irons are the best and never leak. They need to know the quality is not good. So anyone who has this problem with this or any brand need to shout out about the problems. And keep shouting.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    Write the company The company says their irons are the best and never leak. They need to know the quality is not good. So anyone who has this problem with this or any brand need to shout out about the problems. And keep shouting.
    Oh I did. I wrote them about the problem with the iron and the more severe problem with their service center. I wrote them a LONG letter. And I never received a reply, not even an acknowledgment that they received the letter. And that's yet another reason I will not buy another Rowenta. And it's also another reason why I complain about that Rowenta every chance I get.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    Oh I did. I wrote them about the problem with the iron and the more severe problem with their service center. I wrote them a LONG letter. And I never received a reply, not even an acknowledgment that they received the letter. And that's yet another reason I will not buy another Rowenta. And it's also another reason why I complain about that Rowenta every chance I get.
    Good for you!

I had a Rowenta and it did the same thing. I called the company that it said to use for repair and they had me send it to them in Bellevue Wa. I did and later on they called and said it couldn't be fixed to call the Rowenta co.
    I did and explained everything to them . They said they
    would replace it with another new one . In the meantime
    I bought a cheap BD(works fine) and when the new one came I just put it up on the shelf . In case I get in a bind and need one in a hurry. NO more Rowentas for me.
    :thumbdown:

my friend says Rowenta irons are like women==they become incontinent with age. Mine leaked virtually from day 1. I replaced it with a cheapie that is still working beautifully after 5 years.

My very first one leeked after 20 yrs. I got another and so far no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura3
    I have sent my rowenta back twice and finally have one that doesn't leak. I would return it for a new one. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks, but they will take it back. The one I have now is fine, no leaking, but I will not ever buy another rowenta.
    That's interesting because when I contacted Rowenta they wouldn't even entertain the notion of replacing it. It was only a few months old. I guess it depends on who you speak with in customer service. This was a few years ago now so maybe with the numerous complaints, they've decided to step it up.

My Rowenta went crazy hot and burned a iron sized mark on my quilt before it smelled like burning wires. I then unplugged it and called the dealer that I purchased it from and was told in a nutshell "too bad so sad". Only 14 months old... $200 gone.... never again

I had a Rowena that I paid more for than any other iron I ever had. It leaked almost from day one.

My Sunbeam doesn't leak, but I shouldn't have gotten one with an automatic cut-off. Every time I pick it up to iron, it seems to have turned itself off. I don't use it for quilting.

I have a very small iron I use when I'm piecing quilts. It doesn't steam any more because the dogs knocked it off the board a few years back. I just use it with spray starch.

Blog Entries
    I have two Rowenta irons..One was new and wouldn't heat up enough for cotton. I got online and sent it to a repair shop in Fla. Rowenta replaced it with a new one... About 3 mos. ago my other one (which was about 2 yrs. old) the dial was messing up, so I sent it to the repair shop, got a new sent to me again. I really love these irons, but I self clean my alot, keeping the goop out of it. Might send it to a repair shop. Hope this helps.

I use my "leaking" Rowenta as a dry iron only now. I think ALL Rowentas leak. At least that's been my experience with about 4 of them now! My cheapie from WalMart works much better and has never leaked a drop!

I've had my old betty crocker iron for...5 years or more? It was hardly used until this past August when I started quilting, lol, but it's never given me problems. I am thinking about a new one, only because I'd like a bigger water chamber.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovequilts
    I threw out my last rowena becaues of drips/leaking. i bought a cheap (less than $50.00) Black and Decker Iron and love it.
    Same here. The Rowena leaks, the cheap one from WalMart does't. Guess which one I use.

Blog Entries
    I have had 2 Rowanta's and love them. I have had no problems and I do like the auto shut off when it is not in use. Reheat just takes a second.

My Rowenta iron is about 12-15 years old. I used only distilled water, even though the directions say not to. I used tap water one time, and the iron spit and leaked. With distilled water I have no problems at all. I don't know why Rowenta insists on using tap water. I don't use our tap water in my coffee maker either. Only distilled water.
    Marilyn from SW MN

I've had more friends who had this happen. I think there must have been a flaw in the design somewhere. Personally I have a cheap iron from WW A Black and Decker that cost less than $20. It steams fine.
    If you don't want to toss the iron, get a spray bottle and spritz you fabric and use it like a dry iron. The Rowentas do heat up well though.

Blog Entries
    The Rowenta I had was great....for a while, then it started leaking. I bought a Sunbeam. It was so heavy and would automatically shut off when I was pressing a stack of 'pieces'. It had a teflon soleplate and would drag on what I was pressing. I put it on the shelf, went to Walmart and bought a Proctor Silex for $6.97. I love it. The only thing is it doesn't have an auto shutoff so you have to be watchful. It does have a light that is on whenever it is plugged in. Steams beautifully and heats very quickly.

Blog Entries
    I live in Maine! What quilt shop is it that you mentioned here?

Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    Oh! Also... I have since found out that the SUNBEAM Professional iron (the expensive one, SS sole, etc) got great reviews from the ladies at the Maine quilt shop I love. That's what they use there, in fact.

Just in case, anyone's interested.

This is my third Rowenta and it leaks - they all did. I don't bother putting water in it anymore. I use a spray bottle for water and this method is working great for me. Spray , press, spray again....not a problem the iron still generats plenty of heat. I did purchace a Clover mini iron for myself - haven't used it yet though.

Blog Entries
    I've been making quilt tops for quite a while & have never used a steam iron on them.Maybe it's what you're used to.I'm good with a spray bottle of water/or usually,spray starch & my old....very old Sunbeam.I use an old GE on clothes.Both are way over 20 yrs old.No problem with either.

Rowenta's are knowen leakers. I had one that I got as a Christmas gift cost over $100.00. It started to leak. I sent it in to be fixed, it cost $60.00 more dollars & it still leaks. Would not recommend to anyone. Go to Wal-Mart & buy a $6.00 iron & use until it dies.

I went through two Rowenta irons before I gave up and switched to something cheaper price wise and more durable.
    Too bad, this company could have millions of quilters to use this product if it only WORKED!
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    Hi all... this ever happen to you?
    1. This Rowena iron is 1 year old, 1700 watts, press/steam, stainless steel sole, iron. It's heavy enough to press well, versitile enough to iron well. I haven't used it a whole lot yet.

2. I use tap water in it... the directions specifically stated NOT to use distilled water (why, I don't have a clue).

3. I drain it when I'm not going to use it for several weeks. And only fill it when the iron is cool.

Issue: My sewing room is finally back together after having been 'packed up' for renovations. I filled my cold iron, not quite up to the 'full' fill line. It sat there fine. I turned it on, heated it up. Then I picked it up, rotated it to horizontal and started to press. All of a sudden I had about 1/2 cup of water all over my table, ironing pad, fabric... it keeps happening.

If the iron is only about 1/2 full or less, it doesn't seem to do it as much, although it will still spot and throw water out on occasion.

Have I somehow cracked a seal in it? I checked the 'steam on demand' switch and it was not stuck 'on' or malfunctioning in any way. I can't quite figure out where the water is coming from, but it seems as if it's coming from around the edges of the sole plate (where it's attached to the plastic iron body. Some water comes out of the holes in the sole, but I think it's supposed to do that.

Tomorrow, I'll do a self clean.. purge whatever water is still in it then try again. I don't have any gunk built up on the sole plate - it's clean. Not sure what else to try.

Ideas? Fixes? Options? This ever happen to you and if so, how did you solve it?
    Rowenta Irons are OVERRATED!!!! same thing happend to me and i could not return it!!! Will never buy one again....
    I think all of the $$$$$ Irons are worthless!!! I have resorted to Thrift Store Irons for 3.00 and make sure NO auto turnoffs..... and if it dies it is not a big $$ loss.... :) :-P :-P :-P :thumbup: :idea:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast