View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 PM
kwendt

Hi all... this ever happen to you?
1. This Rowena iron is 1 year old, 1700 watts, press/steam, stainless steel sole, iron. It's heavy enough to press well, versitile enough to iron well. I haven't used it a whole lot yet.

2. I use tap water in it... the directions specifically stated NOT to use distilled water (why, I don't have a clue).

3. I drain it when I'm not going to use it for several weeks. And only fill it when the iron is cool.

Issue: My sewing room is finally back together after having been 'packed up' for renovations. I filled my cold iron, not quite up to the 'full' fill line. It sat there fine. I turned it on, heated it up. Then I picked it up, rotated it to horizontal and started to press. All of a sudden I had about 1/2 cup of water all over my table, ironing pad, fabric... it keeps happening.

If the iron is only about 1/2 full or less, it doesn't seem to do it as much, although it will still spot and throw water out on occasion.

Have I somehow cracked a seal in it? I checked the 'steam on demand' switch and it was not stuck 'on' or malfunctioning in any way. I can't quite figure out where the water is coming from, but it seems as if it's coming from around the edges of the sole plate (where it's attached to the plastic iron body. Some water comes out of the holes in the sole, but I think it's supposed to do that.

Tomorrow, I'll do a self clean.. purge whatever water is still in it then try again. I don't have any gunk built up on the sole plate - it's clean. Not sure what else to try.

Ideas? Fixes? Options? This ever happen to you and if so, how did you solve it?