Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Microwaves - how to pick a good one? >

Microwaves - how to pick a good one?

Microwaves - how to pick a good one?

Old 10-30-2011, 03:36 PM

My current apartment doesn't have a microwave, so I'm thinking of getting one. I don't want a huge one or an expensive one, just a reasonably good model. Nothing so cheap it doesn't have a turntable.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how to pick a good one. I mainly use them for popcorn, frozen dinners (including those I make and freeze myself), occasionally some real cooking.

So what kinds of things did you consider when you shopped for yours?
Old 10-30-2011, 03:38 PM

We have been extremely happy with the GE Profile. It has been in use for I think six years without a problem. I swear my Mom has replaced her micro's three times in that time period, other brands then GE.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:51 PM

I'm very happy with my GE. It's not a GE Profile, just a GE.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 PM

Get one with decent wattage'. If I can get one that u can control the power or 100% 50% ECt it does come in handy. Some food u need to decrease the Amy of wattage so it doesn't dry out the food.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:03 PM

Only a couple of companies make the actual innards, so there isn't a whole lot of difference between them.

We really like our Kenmore Pizza Maker and Microwave Oven Combo. It does a great job of baking, or reheating, pizza and rolls etc., and the microwave portion also performs well.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:17 PM

I always go to Consumer Report and see how they are evaluating the product(s) I am interested in. Usually serves me well.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:22 PM

Try and get one that is 900W. You may not have a single circuit to plug a high wattage into in your apartment. I can hardly wait for my 1100W to blow up so I can go back to a 900W. I also prefer one that has a handle to open the door , not just a button. Most of the features are very similar on all the models. Hope these couple of suggestions are helpful.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:49 PM

I've decided to go with the ones who don't like any messing with my foods..if I don't want it irradiated then why am I microwaving it?

So I took mine to the latest Ewaste throwaway. Checked the records my late DH kept well, and we've had it for a LONG time. Still worked well, but....I kept the round table for crafts, that was an after market buy.

I remember going to a class held in town here before we dared to use it!!! So it's OLD...haven't used it for a long time.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

We are happy with our GE. We recently redid the kitchen so donated the white one and got a stainless GE. It seems to work well. countertop kind.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:20 PM

I got my current microwave after reading a Consumer's Report on them. It's a Kenmore, was on sale. It's very good for everything I've tried. Has touch buttons for popcorn, potatoes and a bunch of other things. High power and cost about $89. This was a couple of years ago. I would recomend looking at Consumer's Report for ideas. :thumbup: :thumbup: