Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: To pick or not to pick...that is the question

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Urgh! I get so frustrated with myself. I have been working on my first Quilt for Kids quilt (which is overdue already) and I have been doing my first FMQ'ing on it. I am doing pretty darn good, if I do say so myself...I am very pleased with how it's coming out. Only...I just realized I made a big boo boo.

I had finished 6 squares with a stipple pattern. Midway through my 7th square, the bobbin monster attacked. I put the quilt away because it was late. When I came back to it, my memory lapsed and I refilled the bobbin (which was previously filled with light blue to blend with the backing) with dark blue (which is my top thread.) So, I have gone on to finish seven more squares, as well as the half finished one.

It is terrible. It shows my every mistake on the back and to make it worse, one square is half and half.

Should I pick them all out? I have never picked out quilting before...is this going to send me 'round the bend picking out all these stitches? I am so upset! If I pick them all out, what do I do about the holes left?

*sigh* I think I need chocolate.....lots of chocolate.

Blog Entries
    The holes should close up once the quilt is washed and dried.
    I am so sorry that this happened to you, but other than picking the stitches out? I don't think there is another solution :(

I don't have the answer, but I sure feel for ya! Hope the ladies in here can give u some answers that will save you time and frustration!

Never frog (rip-it, rip-it) for design choice, only for tension. Usually, the holes close up. You can spritz it with water to help, but it's rare that that's necessary.

Blog Entries
    could you applique some things over that area?

Pick. Been there, done that more times than I care to remember!

If it's any consolation, I once spent 10 hours ripping out 1 row of panto design. It was a really dense design, with lots of overlap and the tension was off enough that it had to come out, but not off enough that it was easy to pull out.

I'm sorry! I don't know what I would do... :(

Danggit. :( Oh stitch ripper, come to me, let us get acquainted.
    I will have my husband post if this ends up putting me in the looney bin.

Hope Downey doesn't get too upset that this quilt is going to be so very late.

Blog Entries
    Yeeesssss....you must PICK!! I have spent hours and hours picking out bad quilting stitches, or wrong color, or folded over backing, or....whatever!!! It's one of the rights of passage with quilting....Today I must PICK IT OUT!!! LOL :-) Good luck!!!

Banned
    i don't know in what order you quilted it. Is there a possibility that you could use the bottom thread almost as a part of the decorative effect. However, you did say some of it shows up not so good stitching. If you quilting from the center out might you use the bottom thread to give decorative element to the back. Just a thought as I don't know how you quilted.

HUGS!!!!!! I'm having one of those days too....perhaps we can meet in the loony bin for some coffee..........

Blog Entries
    does it look good on the front? if it does, then finish quilting it.

get another slab o' fabric, use it as a second backing and machine tack the whole shebang together at block intersections. once you put the binding on, it will look good from the front, and different (but good) from the back.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    does it look good on the front? if it does, then finish quilting it.

get another slab o' fabric, use it as a second backing and machine tack the whole shebang together at block intersections. once you put the binding on, it will look good from the front, and different (but good) from the back.
    Hmmm...I will consider your suggestion.....that will hold up to lots of washing too right? Hmmmm....you may have just saved my sanity! :P

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    HUGS!!!!!! I'm having one of those days too....perhaps we can meet in the loony bin for some coffee..........
    It's a date! I'll take a mocha late!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Blog Entries
    With a task like that, I find I do better if I work on it while watching tv.

Blog Entries
    How about using the 1/8" "one-toe-foot" or a 1/4" foot and sewing with the other color right next to the stitching you've already done - both stitchings would then have both colors & look like it was supposed to be that way.
    OR use a twin needle & follow the existing stitching to add the secondary color, then continuing with both colors for the rest of the quilting.
    As long as you're considering restitching, AFTER you've ripped out the 'wrong' stitching (and your hair...), just adding the other lines of stitching would be less work and less exasperating, plus no 'holes' to hope won't be noticeable.

It sounds like something I would do. Sigh.......I guess we all have days like this.

Still trying to decide what to do. Hubby is like...ahhhh just keep going...but I can't give an imperfect quilt to a child who needs it! Still entertaining the thought of a "false backing"....yes...still really thinking about that!!!
    Thanks all for your encouragement and sympathy!! :)

Blog Entries
    it isn't a false backing. it's an extra backing.

where is it written that the front and back of a quilt must be quilted in exactly the same way? i have used this method more than once in more than one way. you end up with a very interesting quilt all the way around. (pun fully intended. :lol: )

you're a big girl and should do as you please. i just don't see a purpose in tearing yourself up over something the child who gets your quilt wouldn't care about even if she/he knew we did.

Blog Entries
    I do agree with Patrice. If you think about it, you might have planned to have a solid backing when you designed it. If you had designed it like that you wouldn't be giving it a second thought. I also like the idea of using the stitching as decoration if you can get by with it. You can see it and we can't. You will know what works best for you.

I really feel for you but if it's just a design issue like Shelley said, and the stitches are sound, I would probably leave it.

I can't talk though because I started quilting my vintage-look top and I thought it was so bad that I took it off the frame and I am using a razor knife to skin it off the backing.