Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Do you applique?

  1. #1
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    I would like to know who appliques? Also what is a good book to buy to learn how to applique.

    Do you have any tips or tricks to share with us?

    Any dvd's to buy to learn to applique?

    Thanks again as this will be interesting.

    Karen

  2. #2
    Gal
    Gal is offline
    Super Member Gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Zealand in the South Pacific
    Posts
    1,117
    I am about to have ago at this on my machine for the first time, I got some really good books from my local library recently to read up on how to go about it. I shall work closely with my 'quilting buddy' so as I am not alone. I have already learned about HST from her and am practising!
    Mmmmm they looked easy on the DVD!!!!

    Gal

  3. #3
    retired teacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    132
    I'm teaching myself as I can no longer hand applique. I am having trouble with points on the ends of leaves, but I'll figure it out until then I getting very good at hiding my goofs sometime the best lessons learned come from trial and error. God, I sound like a teacher.

  4. #4
    Super Member quiltwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,930
    Hi Karen. I try to do both hand and machine. Try out a few different methods and see which one makes sense to you.

    I find that if I am "in-love" with a project, I'll usually keep at it.

    I suggest investing in different shades of gray thread. It will blend in with most fabrics.

    Let us know how you do.
    Where are you in IN?? I grew up in Greenfield many years ago. Will be rooting for Purdue in tonight's game.

  5. #5
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    I applique by machine and just learned that. I want to learn hand applique some time, but not sure I'll have patience for it.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    128
    When I began to hand applique I bought the book APPLIQUE 12 EASY WAYS by Ellie Sienkiewicz. She teaches all the different ways to applique. She also includes many projects and patterns and suggests the best method to use for each. You can try any or all of them and decide which you like best. I find that I use different methods for the different pieces in each project. Have fun experimenting.

  7. #7
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    I have not done any yet.

  8. #8
    retired teacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    132
    I found hand applique to be very relaxing. wish I could still hold on to those darn straw needles.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    You can Google how to applique and alot of very helpful videos come up. :thumbup:

  10. #10
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,213
    I was hoping to see more replies here, as i just finished an appliqued block and did some basting and topstitching on some pieces and fused and topstitched some.
    I wanted to hear how ppl use glue to turn the edges and then topstitch.
    This was a hurry up thing, so no time for fiddling around, but I want to turn the edges and machine stitch in place so they will last.
    I have a project for myself that will be very special and i want it to last as long as possible.
    Applique may take a lot longer than a pieced block but I find it to be so satisfying to make pictures come to life with fabric. love, love, love it :XD:

    BTW: I have that book "twelve ways to applique", and it is a good book. I need to get it out again :-D

  11. #11
    Power Poster RedGarnet222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    14,513
    My favorite is, "Applique' The Basics and Beyond" by, Janet Pittman

  12. #12
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    I purchased the "Fluffy Says Boo!" and it gave directions on how to use glue stick turned edge applique. It was slightly different from the way I have done applique but it works wonderfully well for me.

  13. #13
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,213
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I purchased the "Fluffy Says Boo!" and it gave directions on how to use glue stick turned edge applique. It was slightly different from the way I have done applique but it works wonderfully well for me.
    thank you so much for the pointers on glueing, bernie! I hope more ppl look into applique. It is such a rewarding type of quilting! fun, fun, fun!:XD:

  14. #14
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I purchased the "Fluffy Says Boo!" and it gave directions on how to use glue stick turned edge applique. It was slightly different from the way I have done applique but it works wonderfully well for me.
    thank you so much for the pointers on glueing, bernie! I hope more ppl look into applique. It is such a rewarding type of quilting! fun, fun, fun!:XD:
    Yeah, I love applique too! I like all kinds of hand sewing except piecing

  15. #15
    Member sunlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    56
    CRAFTYBEAR Karen Here is the method I use when I applique:
    A. Trace Images: Turn pattern wrong side up on light box or window with a lot of light. Place fusible web glue side down(glue side feels pebbly) on pattern. Trace images with black felt pen or #2 pencil. Cut out tracings, leaving a narrow border (I leave about 1/4 ") of fusible web around each image. You will trim this away later..
    B. Fuse tracings to Fabric: Place tracings glue side down on wrong side of fabric for each applique. Fuse with a DRY iron. Trim pieces to final shape called for by pattern.
    C. Fuse appliques to Foundation: Remove backing paper from appliques and arrange on fabric. Fuse with DRY iron.
    This is an easy method. I then stich each applique with a small zigzag stich after I have placed the appliques where I want them. You will be able to move the appliques after you've taken the paper off, just don't iron until you are satisfied with the placement of your appliques. I hope this is easy to understand. Good luck with this method.

  16. #16
    Member sunlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    56
    KAREN: I USE PELLON WONDER UNDER FUSIBE WEB. CHEAP AT WAL-MARCHE' I PAID $.87 A YARD SO I BUY MANY YARDS AT A TIME 'CUZ YOU CAN'T ALWAYS FIND IT. JO-ANN HAS IT FOR ABOUT $1.87 A YARD!! HAVE THE STORE ROLL IT FOR YOU, THEN THERE ARE NO HARD CREASES.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    There are alot of videos showing you how on the web...just Google "how to applique" They show many techniques.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    I use Wonder Under too and I buy it by the bolts.

  19. #19
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    I hand applique. There are many methods, you need to try all to find what works for you. I like it because my back gives out at the sewing machine and I can sit back in the recliner and watch tv. So far, I've finished 4 wallhangings and 2 quilt tops in the last year doing applique. now, to finish them on the quilting machine :roll:

  20. #20
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,682
    Ooooo, I LOVE to applique!! I hold my fabric down with either 505 spray or fusible and usually do a blanket stitch around it or a satin stitch, depending what I am appliqueing.

    A lot of times, I do it on my embroidery machine.

  21. #21
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,926
    Blog Entries
    1
    For anyne interested in machine applique, I highly recommend Harriet Hargrave's book. I have the first edition of her Mastering Machine Applique book and learned *tons* from it. She is very explicit and includes lots of photographs to illustrate techniques.

    Here is a link to the 2nd edition of her book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach.../dp/157120136X

  22. #22
    Super Member shequilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I would like to know who appliques? Also what is a good book to buy to learn how to applique.

    Do you have any tips or tricks to share with us?

    Any dvd's to buy to learn to applique?

    Thanks again as this will be interesting.

    Karen
    I'm a huge fan of Elly Sienkiewicz. Her books are wonderful, they teach some history along with technique for needle turn applique. I began with her "Baltimore Beauties and Beyond" Vol.1. It was first published in 1989 and is now a very collectible book. I have most all of her books, lacking only the first, "Spoken Without a Word". I can't bring myself to pay the $150-$200 it now brings. It does contain some patterns, but most of them are repeated in other books she has published.
    I am currently working on my own Baltimore Album quilt, which I will call "Canton Album" (since I live here). I am attaching pics of three blocks. The first was done as I was resuming applique and the others show progressive improvement. It's a skill easily lost if you don't keep it up.
    I stitch with a wonderful group of 5 who are all intent on making an Album quilt within a year. I hope I can finish mine in that length of time. I stitch slowly and tend to rip it out if I'm not pleased with it.
    I have done machine applique, but am never happy with it. I don't like the feel of the fusible web underneath. That's why I chose the classic look of needle turned hand work.
    I hope you find this interesting, if not helpful.
    Happy stitching!
    Karen
    Attached Images Attached Images



  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    central California
    Posts
    637
    I love applique. I like hand applique, I prepare the pieces with freezer paper and hand stitch them with a blind stitch onto the background. I have also done fusible with a hand blanket stitch around the pieces. I have recently practised some machine applique, but my old Bernina doesn't have a blanket stitch on it and I don't like satin stitch, the blind hem stitch is ok but, I do prefer hand applique. I took a beginner class on it, I don't have an applique book.

  24. #24
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    Quote Originally Posted by ctquilter
    When I began to hand applique I bought the book APPLIQUE 12 EASY WAYS by Ellie Sienkiewicz. She teaches all the different ways to applique. She also includes many projects and patterns and suggests the best method to use for each. You can try any or all of them and decide which you like best. I find that I use different methods for the different pieces in each project. Have fun experimenting.
    Ditto, I hand applique and have taken several classes from Ellie Sienkiewicz. This is a great book, I also have many of her Baltimore Album quilt books as well.

    My favorite method is freezer paper on the back side and then leaving a small opening and pulling the freezer paper out, instead of cutting the back.

  25. #25
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    Thanks for the infomation!

    Quote Originally Posted by sunlover
    CRAFTYBEAR Karen Here is the method I use when I applique:
    A. Trace Images: Turn pattern wrong side up on light box or window with a lot of light. Place fusible web glue side down(glue side feels pebbly) on pattern. Trace images with black felt pen or #2 pencil. Cut out tracings, leaving a narrow border (I leave about 1/4 ") of fusible web around each image. You will trim this away later..
    B. Fuse tracings to Fabric: Place tracings glue side down on wrong side of fabric for each applique. Fuse with a DRY iron. Trim pieces to final shape called for by pattern.
    C. Fuse appliques to Foundation: Remove backing paper from appliques and arrange on fabric. Fuse with DRY iron.
    This is an easy method. I then stich each applique with a small zigzag stich after I have placed the appliques where I want them. You will be able to move the appliques after you've taken the paper off, just don't iron until you are satisfied with the placement of your appliques. I hope this is easy to understand. Good luck with this method.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.