Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you applique? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-applique-t40726.html)

craftybear 03-25-2010 09:31 PM

I would like to know who appliques? Also what is a good book to buy to learn how to applique.

Do you have any tips or tricks to share with us?

Any dvd's to buy to learn to applique?

Thanks again as this will be interesting.

Karen

Gal 03-25-2010 11:55 PM

I am about to have ago at this on my machine for the first time, I got some really good books from my local library recently to read up on how to go about it. I shall work closely with my 'quilting buddy' so as I am not alone. I have already learned about HST from her and am practising!
Mmmmm they looked easy on the DVD!!!!

Gal

retired teacher 03-26-2010 01:07 PM

I'm teaching myself as I can no longer hand applique. I am having trouble with points on the ends of leaves, but I'll figure it out until then I getting very good at hiding my goofs sometime the best lessons learned come from trial and error. God, I sound like a teacher.

quiltwoman 03-26-2010 02:29 PM

Hi Karen. I try to do both hand and machine. Try out a few different methods and see which one makes sense to you.

I find that if I am "in-love" with a project, I'll usually keep at it.

I suggest investing in different shades of gray thread. It will blend in with most fabrics.

Let us know how you do.
Where are you in IN?? I grew up in Greenfield many years ago. Will be rooting for Purdue in tonight's game.

jljack 03-26-2010 03:13 PM

I applique by machine and just learned that. I want to learn hand applique some time, but not sure I'll have patience for it.

ctquilter 03-26-2010 03:27 PM

When I began to hand applique I bought the book APPLIQUE 12 EASY WAYS by Ellie Sienkiewicz. She teaches all the different ways to applique. She also includes many projects and patterns and suggests the best method to use for each. You can try any or all of them and decide which you like best. I find that I use different methods for the different pieces in each project. Have fun experimenting.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-26-2010 03:28 PM

I have not done any yet.

retired teacher 03-26-2010 04:02 PM

I found hand applique to be very relaxing. wish I could still hold on to those darn straw needles.

marsye 03-26-2010 05:49 PM

You can Google how to applique and alot of very helpful videos come up. :thumbup:

Mousie 03-26-2010 06:16 PM

I was hoping to see more replies here, as i just finished an appliqued block and did some basting and topstitching on some pieces and fused and topstitched some.
I wanted to hear how ppl use glue to turn the edges and then topstitch.
This was a hurry up thing, so no time for fiddling around, but I want to turn the edges and machine stitch in place so they will last.
I have a project for myself that will be very special and i want it to last as long as possible.
Applique may take a lot longer than a pieced block but I find it to be so satisfying to make pictures come to life with fabric. love, love, love it :XD:

BTW: I have that book "twelve ways to applique", and it is a good book. I need to get it out again :-D