Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MIL's Gotta love 'em

Blog Entries
    My Mom in law called me yesterday. We rarely talk to them, good folk, just little communication.
    Anyway she knows I quilt, and she supports me. Sends me magazines.
    She is on the phone tells me about her latest project. A few minutes later she asks about how I coming on finishing the house. Tell her I have one room left still, and I am waiting on flooring so she says "maybe you should be spending more time getting things done and less time working on your quilts"
    Ouch.
    Does she not understand, that if I don't do something for fun I will go nuts?
    All work, no play. Sheesh, why do I have to be such a talented handyman that loves to quilt?
    I mean come on. Before I had a ROOM just for my fabric and machine, gave that up for one of my kids. I went from a whole room of fabric down to 4 tubs. FOUR!

Guess you should tell her working on the house is driving you nuts and the quilting keeps you sane... LOL

Blog Entries
    You could let her know that quilting is something you do for YOU. Non-quilters don't always understand our need to quilt - how could they? Does she have a hobby or passion that you could compare quilting too so that she has a better understanding? You don't owe her an explanation but I know you want to make her 'get it.'

"Charmer" with a quilt!

Blog Entries
    But you ARE getting things DONE - lots of quilts.

You could just let there be a long pause and then change the subject

or

ask why she thinks it's ok to talk to you like a little kid.

Sheesh!

Boy do the MIL's know how to get us! Quilting is under Drs. orders for me. He told me to take time for myself and do what I like to do sometimes. Hope i haven't taken his prescription too far, lol.

Blog Entries
    I have caller ID. His mom - he answers :)

Blog Entries
    I too have that problem. I am a handyman and a quilter. It is all in fun!!

Yikes! I have a MIL who used to talk like that when DH and I were just getting together but once we had kids, she got much more controlling and opinionated so DH took the matters into his hands and it actually led to him cutting her out of our lives all together. It still unsettles me but we have an agreement: If my family oversteps their bounds, I speak to them. If his family oversteps their bounds, he speaks to them. It's been so much better since then.

Everyone needs a release, something just for them. Even if she's not a quilter, she must have something that she resorts to, besides bitter talk, to help her put things in perspective. Thankfully, we have this board to vent on, instead of venting back to her. I agree with IrishNY though, (perhaps because I'm and Irish New Yorker :-) ), leave an extended pause there. Her own conscience should let her know she's overstepped the bounds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast