Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mobile Home home owners insurance >

Mobile Home home owners insurance

Mobile Home home owners insurance

Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 AM

As I said in my first post --here in Florida we have NO choice --Citizen's is the only company for mobile/rv trailers as they are referred too. We have 2 bdrm /2 bath park model that they only insure for 1/3 the value. Terrible cost even though I have receipts for all the many upgrades.They make you go through an agent but they put quota's as to how many clients each agency can take . Our agent is 25 miles away yet there is another one is a mile up the road that can not do business as their quota is full. They made me count the # of drywall sheets and the # of sealed window panes. The lady dealing with me has so much paper work over and over with them.
Glad some of you are satisfied.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 AM

I had Foremost on my dbl wide in Ohio. I had to make a claim and they had some one out in 24 hrs and less then 2 weeks I received a check in the amount the adjuster said was coming. All insurances have a deductable but I have never heard of a ''surcharge'. My policy covered the cost to replace the trailer and contents I had 2 riders in the amts of $10,000 for my sewing room contents and the other for all my tools. My rates were just under $26 a month and my first payment to get started was a 2 month payment. The people were all very nice and helpful and if I ever need mobile home ins. again it will be Foremost. My rates did NOT go up even after a second claim a year later.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM

Formost Ins. is a big one.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Many years ago I dropped my homeowner's insurance cause they doubled my premium because of so many policies they had to pay out west. We live in the Eastern shore of Md. Since it was a bad time for us financially and our home was paid for I just couldn't renew. Several years later I dicided all I wanted was fire insurance to prevent the total lose of our home. They told me since we have more than 3 horses on the property we would have to get FARM owners insurance. OK! Then we were told we couldn't get FARM owners insurance cause we have a DOUBLE WIDE and not a "stick built" house!! Can't win for losing. As long as we inform visitors (we have so few) that there is a hole, tricky step, etc and they know it is there and trip or fall anyway we are not responsible. All they would get if the sued us is a barn full of 15 yr old fancy pigeons, one old cat, and twenty or so yr old geese and ducks. Even the youngest of the 8 horses and ponies are at least 10 yrs and several are twenty or so.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 PM

We have a double wide in Oregon and have Allstate ins. Last year a big wind came through and took off the patio roof when I called them they couldn't have been nicer, they said to get a quote from who ever I wanted to do the job so I called the guy who built it, gave the quote to Allstate over the phone and they said OK fixed. they never came out to look at it. I recommend Allstate.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 AM

When I went to get home owners insurance I went thru an agency. They don't charge anymore for the insurance but the will shop around and find you the best deal. I also did that with car insurance (used my daughters agency that time) and when I was ready to buy I just contacted the insurance directly. An agency was great for my young daughter to help her get a lower cost insurance and each renewal time they research again to see if there is another co with better rates; normally there are. I think for homeowners I'd probably stay with the same co but the agency really helped me. Then if I have an agent I contact her when I need assistance instead of dealing with a co and getting put on hold, etc. I've used the same agent for my house for around 20yrs.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:25 AM

We have State Farm but I've never made a claim with them. If your policy doesn't say ANYTHING about a surcharge and they insured your home, then do NOT let them get away with this! I worked for the Oregon Insurance Commissioner................contact the one in your state. Wait until the Ins. Co. gives you something in writing saying there's a surcharge. You would probably have to send in a copy of your policy and the paperwork saying you have to pay the surcharge. It's not right --- and it may be a "bad agent". The ins. companies don't like hearing from the commissioners. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 AM

We have Grange for our modular, which is counted as a mobile home even if it isn't. My agent uses multiple companies and changed us from Assurant this year because it was cheaper. Really pays to have a yearly check-up on rates.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

My grandmother's house was too old to insure the structure but she got contents only insurance. You may have to finagle a little but try for contents only or put the mobile home in one spouse's name and the other spouse gets the renter's insurance. Worth a try.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:24 PM

My mother has Foremost, but they aren't taking new FL customers. So we are with Citizen's run by the state. That was our choice and we went through a broker. Haven't needed to make a claim, but the cost with Citizen's is much more than Foremost. We were told by the broker to make sure all payments to Foremost needed to be early or on time (never a problem), because they are looking to drop mobile home customers. I don't know if that's true or not. When we had our home in the PNW, we had USAA with an umbrella policy for cars, house, everything. Those were the days. USAA doesn't insure mobile homes in FL.