Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Home home owners insurance

Mobile Home home owners insurance

We live in a large double wide on a foundation and pay big $$$ for homeowners insurance. When I called to report storm damage, they told me there 'might' be a surcharge! I will not name the company, as I am not out to slam them. Can anyone suggest other companies that insure mobile homes..we would like to check around.

Blog Entries
    Did they mean the surcharge as a deductible. If so then we all have those.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    My cousin lives in a double wide on foundation and her insurance is almost double what I pay for a bigger house and we live in the same county.
    Got fabric?

Power Poster
    Don't you just love insurance companies? You pay in for years and when you need to make a claim it is .....that's not covered, or there will be a large deductable, or your rates go up. Make sure not to tell your current insurance company that you are shopping around until you see if another will insure you.

Contact a local insurance AGENCY and have them shop prices for you. They have access to many insurance companies.

I don't know if you'll have any luck finding a different(better) insurance company, Foremost, seems to have the monopoly on mobiles. Good luck.

Foremost is the only one that insures mobiles here in Washington that I know of.
    It's all we could get on our in-place 5th wheel at our farm anyway. We have 1000.00 deductible and the preimum is still 400+ a year. Our home insurance is 670. Go figure.

I'm sure it is because so many of them aren't tied down re: hurricane/tornado specs.

Insurance Companies will never be on the losing end no matter what they say, they are in business to make money. You just have to have a love/hate relationship with them lol

If this isn't your current insurer, Allstate Insurance sells mobile home policies.

We would have been better off to bank the money we pay the insurance company. We have paid alot more like that than what the place is worth. We have a very nice home.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

kso
    Our MH policy is with Farmers Insurance.
    "God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -- Robert Bontine Cunninghame-Graham, letter to Theodore Roosevelt, 1890

Thanks, everyone...we will do some pricing...our premium is $1200 a year!!

Is EVERYONE on the same wave length here? I JUST had that same conversation with my insurance company when I got my bill for the upcoming year...and I heard a "new one", at least to me: "Well, ma'am, it went up because everyone in your area got an increase due to the number of claims last year." So, smart alec that I am, I asked if they were planning to refund us for all the fun they had in the years when they DIDN'T have claims? It's enough to drive you to an attorney and to file a class action lawsuit!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I have State Farm and my premium is only 404.80.00 per year which is in my mortgage payment. I have a 4 b/r on five acres. I don't have flood insurance as I don't live near any bodies of water. When Isabelle came through she tore up the whole end of my home and the insurance company paid every dime of repair. I have State Farm for auto insurance and life insurance as well.
    Last edited by maryb44662; 11-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    MaryB

Blog Entries
    We would have been better off financially if we'd bought an ugly tract house instead of our gorgeous doublewide manufactured home. The only insurance available is through a state run company (trust me, we check every year) and government isn't all bad, but in this case, it isn't good, either! Supposedly this is all due to Hurricane Andrew...and that was like YEARS ago! There is no free market, so the state charges whatever it wants. I think they use us to make up any budget deficits!!!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I have Foremost and paid all claims with no problems. Had them for 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    Contact a local insurance AGENCY and have them shop prices for you. They have access to many insurance companies.
    alot of insurance company's won't touch a mobile home even if it's on a foundation.good luck but beware for the ones that double you cost if you make a claim.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Blog Entries
    I don't know what ins you have or if you qualify but I went through AARP for my manufactured home ins. I had damage and they were great.

We live in a double wide on a foundation also and have for many years. We use Travelers and they have been awesome. Had a tree come down on house during hurricane Floyd about 8-10 years ago and they were great. Our contractor that did the repairs was paid immediately and the repairs were all done first class the whole way through. In fact just the master bedroom and bath were damaged but they not only authorized all the repairs to the structure and the rooms but even put a whole new roof on the house because they were afraid that the old and new sections wouldn't match. We like you live in Pa, may be worth a call to them. Good luck!

Insurance is different state by state. Mine is through Hochheim but it may just be a Texas company. They are great and my rates are about the same as a regular house would be. They also pay claims lickedy split with little hassle. I echo others who say go to a general agent -- they work for you so will find the best rate.

As I said in my first post --here in Florida we have NO choice --Citizen's is the only company for mobile/rv trailers as they are referred too. We have 2 bdrm /2 bath park model that they only insure for 1/3 the value. Terrible cost even though I have receipts for all the many upgrades.They make you go through an agent but they put quota's as to how many clients each agency can take . Our agent is 25 miles away yet there is another one is a mile up the road that can not do business as their quota is full. They made me count the # of drywall sheets and the # of sealed window panes. The lady dealing with me has so much paper work over and over with them.
    Glad some of you are satisfied.

Blog Entries
    I had Foremost on my dbl wide in Ohio. I had to make a claim and they had some one out in 24 hrs and less then 2 weeks I received a check in the amount the adjuster said was coming. All insurances have a deductable but I have never heard of a ''surcharge'. My policy covered the cost to replace the trailer and contents I had 2 riders in the amts of $10,000 for my sewing room contents and the other for all my tools. My rates were just under $26 a month and my first payment to get started was a 2 month payment. The people were all very nice and helpful and if I ever need mobile home ins. again it will be Foremost. My rates did NOT go up even after a second claim a year later.

Formost Ins. is a big one.

Many years ago I dropped my homeowner's insurance cause they doubled my premium because of so many policies they had to pay out west. We live in the Eastern shore of Md. Since it was a bad time for us financially and our home was paid for I just couldn't renew. Several years later I dicided all I wanted was fire insurance to prevent the total lose of our home. They told me since we have more than 3 horses on the property we would have to get FARM owners insurance. OK! Then we were told we couldn't get FARM owners insurance cause we have a DOUBLE WIDE and not a "stick built" house!! Can't win for losing. As long as we inform visitors (we have so few) that there is a hole, tricky step, etc and they know it is there and trip or fall anyway we are not responsible. All they would get if the sued us is a barn full of 15 yr old fancy pigeons, one old cat, and twenty or so yr old geese and ducks. Even the youngest of the 8 horses and ponies are at least 10 yrs and several are twenty or so.

We have a double wide in Oregon and have Allstate ins. Last year a big wind came through and took off the patio roof when I called them they couldn't have been nicer, they said to get a quote from who ever I wanted to do the job so I called the guy who built it, gave the quote to Allstate over the phone and they said OK fixed. they never came out to look at it. I recommend Allstate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast