Montgomery, Alabama

Old 01-20-2014, 11:22 AM

Default Montgomery, Alabama

I will be in the Montgomery, Alabama, area for about a week in February, with a side trip to Gulf Shores. Would love some recommendations for quilt/fabric shops in the area. Also, any not-to-be-missed sights or restaurants to add to my list. Thanks for any help!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:28 AM

Check out Lulu's, Tacky Jack's, and Bahama Bob's for fun places to eat that are on the water. I hear that there is a small quilt store in the Gulf Shores area, but I've never found it in all my time there. Sun and sand a'plenty, though! Have fun!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:31 AM

Hey! We used to live in Huntsville AL and went down to Gulf shores and Orange Beach... WE loved Orange Beach....Restaurants to eat at are Desotos in Gulf shores... Hazels (best biscuits in town ) in Orange beach.... Hazels has a breakfast buffet that is wonderful...
Lots of good seafood places there... SEA quilt shop is the only one there in Gulf shores... oh eat in Foley Beach near the outlet shops Lamberts Home of the thrown rolls.... yes they throw the rolls at you... they are delicious and the place is a fun place to visit...
have fun
hugs
quiltinmama
Old 01-20-2014, 11:36 AM

There's a Lambert's near Springfield, Mo. A good place to eat. Must take cash, they don't do cards. It's amazing to watch them throwing rolls. Hold up your hand and you'll get a roll thrown from across the room. If you miss it and it goes to the floor, they'll throw you another one. Really good food. Other than your main dish, the food is served by servers walking around with a bowl of food. They give you what you want of it.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! It's always great to get recommendations from people who have been there.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:11 PM

If you don't mind riding over to Pensacola, go to A & E Pharmacy - yes, it is a drug store, but over in the craft side of the store, there's several thousand bolts of quilt fabrics from numerous manufacturers! (Including a wall of batiks!) Don't go if you're in a hurry - there's lots to look at and you'll need time to take it all in!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:13 PM

If you don't mind riding over to Pensacola, go to A & E Pharmacy - yes, it is a drug store, but over in the craft side of the store, there's several thousand bolts of quilt fabrics from numerous manufacturers! (Including a wall of batiks!) Don't go if you're in a hurry - there's lots to look at and you'll need time to take it all in!

As far as places to eat, you can always try Doc's, Original Oyster House or the Shrimp Basket.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:37 PM

There were quite a few quilting fabrics here
A & E Pharmacy, 923 N New Warrington Rd, Pensacola, FL 32506[TABLE="class: ts _vE, width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<nobr>(850) 455-0381</nobr>
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[h=1]Different types of fabric here. Some quilting fabrics
Fabric Outlet #2, 2330 S Highway 29 Cantonment FL 32533, (850) 937-0026 [/h]Quite a few quilting fabrics here.
Fabric by the Pound, 102 State Highway 59 N, Summerdale, AL 36580, (251) 989-6505

Found this listing but haven't visited this place. Call first to ensure that they are still in business (do that for all)
Sea Quilt Shoppe, 22131 Cotton Creek Dr, Gulf Shores, AL 36542, (251) 968-7327

I've been by her many times, but never went in. I couldn't tell from the street whether they had fabrics or not.
Martelli’s Fabrics and Quilting, 5450 North W Street, Pensacola

There was a quilt shop on E Garden in Pensacola, but I can't find any listing for it now.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:07 PM

A & E is definitely worth the trip from Gulf Shores! Don't let the outside fool you, it's wonderful. While they have some precuts, they don't do fat quarters. Be sure to check the board above the cutting table for what's on sale. Any of the staff will help you. Oh, Martelli's has a few bolts but not many. I'd estimate about 200.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Banned

I have been to Gulf Shores and panhandle of FL many times, but have not gone to any quilt shops there or along the way. Next visit I will definitely checkout A&E. Sounds awesome.

As for restaurants, I didn't care for Lulu's- too touristy and very very crowded when we went. Food was just ok. But maybe if it was not so crowded.
I do like Lamberts in Foley. Nothing really stands out to me in Gulf Shores - just some average seafood. I did like Tacky Jacks too. The Crab Trap near the state line is good, and a tad pricey. Worth it though.
Have fun and welcome to our state!