Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question for Embroidery Machine owners >

Question for Embroidery Machine owners

Question for Embroidery Machine owners

Old 01-21-2014, 03:46 AM

Default Question for Embroidery Machine owners

I have a question.

How ow much would you charge to embroider a fleece blanket with a child's name, birth date, weight and length?

My my mom had a friend who did this for her for all her granddaughters when they were born but the lady still has the second and third blankets and had not responded to her inquiries in years. I feel it's a lost cause at this point but would love to try and get those last two blankets done for her along with one for Lulu. Locally I am at a loss as to how to find someone to do this because the only place local I found will not do the embroidery. Its to the point where I would rather ship out to someone to get these done as a surprise for my mom.

Thanks for your time. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Hand embroidery? Machine? If it's machine, the going rate is about $1/1,000 stitches and there usually is a minimum charge, so it would depend on the exact text, chosen font etc.
I would not have a clue about hand embroidery pricing.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:00 AM

I would try a shop that sold embroidery machines. They might be willing to embroider the information for you on squares of fabric that could then be hand or machine sewn on to the blankets. I personally would not attempt to machine embroider that kind of information directly onto a fleece blanket. It is very difficult to stabilize fleece enough to keep it from being eaten by the machine. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 AM

Machine embroidered. And this is an example of a name and stats.
Kathryn Elizabeth
7.0 lbs 19.5 in
4/7/2004 3:30pm

Nothing omg fancy just a script type font and large enough to fit nicely in a corner of a blanket. I used fleece as a fabric choice because the first blanket was done in fleece and now that I see I understand how difficult fleece could be. I have exhausted my local resources. The ones I could find either only work on mass school sports type items or the job wasn't worth it for them. Hence the reason I've gotten to reaching out online. I know my mom feels quite disappointed that these blankets were never finished so it's something I would like to try to do for her.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

Not sure this is what you want, but it would be relatively easy to have labels made that you then attach to the fleece. Much easier to ship, less expensive than shipping the blankets back and forth, and no fear of a blanket being lost in shipment. There is someone on the QB who does labels for quilters who want to order them. I don't have the member name, but someone else who reads this might know who it is.

Edit: Also, Google EmbroiderMe to see if there is one in your area. I know they do hats, etc. They might be able to embroider right on your blankets. I think they're pricey, though.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 AM

My grand daughter has a receiving blanket with that info embroidered on it. It came from Pottery Barn. I know it can be done directly on fleece because my daughter has fleece blankets from her sorority that have been embroidered directly on them. If I were more proficient, I'd offer to do them for you but I am just learning! Surely someone can help you out. The suggestion to check at a local quilt store was a good one...someone there could surely direct you to a person who could do this.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:00 AM

I machine embroidery my info on all quilts I make. I just finished a quilt with flannel backing. I embroidered my info on the backing before quilting with no problem. I've never done fleece. If it's done on a blanket, it will show through both sides. A label to attach may be a better way to go.
Bob
Old 01-21-2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tfch8184 View Post
Machine embroidered. And this is an example of a name and stats.
Kathryn Elizabeth
7.0 lbs 19.5 in
4/7/2004 3:30pm

Nothing omg fancy just a script type font and large enough to fit nicely in a corner of a blanket. I used fleece as a fabric choice because the first blanket was done in fleece and now that I see I understand how difficult fleece could be. I have exhausted my local resources. The ones I could find either only work on mass school sports type items or the job wasn't worth it for them. Hence the reason I've gotten to reaching out online. I know my mom feels quite disappointed that these blankets were never finished so it's something I would like to try to do for her.
I sent you a PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 PM

Thanks so much for the info y'all.

Gladmaker. I will pm you back as soon as my miss monster is down for the night. It's dinner time right now and I am trying to keep her from chomping down my leg lol.

Hungry toddlers are scary peoples lol
Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 AM

I have done several labels for members of this board. I would only embroider on a label that could be sewn onto the blankets. I would only send you the labels to be attached by you. I would not ask to have the blankets sent to me. I would need the color of label you wanted and the approximate size of font ou want. I usually do them for $5.00 for members of this board.