Mouse problem

Old 05-25-2010, 05:40 PM

Yesterday, I found a dead mouse at the base of my tree in the back yard. Today I found two more dead ones in the same general area. Now I know for some, three mice outside are no big deal (DH said "so what, they're outside") but I hate the nasty little vermin and I want them gone. I don't know what is attracting them because the dog waste is picked up, the trash is covered, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas for a natural, non-poison substance I can put outside to either kill them or drive them away? The dog is in the back yard and she'll eat anything (although she didn't eat the mice which surprised me) so it has to be safe for dogs. Any suggestions? This is the first time we've had rodents and I just want the creepy little buggers to go away!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:49 PM

It sounds like maybe a neighbor put out some poison and the mice for some reason are choosing your property as their final resting place. I'm sorry but I don't know of anything that will get rid of mice that won't also hurt your dog.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:53 PM

Mice have no purpose (that I know of) other than to eat and repopulate so there are lots of them to provide food for the multitude of animals that survive on them. You probably have more out there than you realize.

The best weapon against mice is a trap. Bait it with peanut butter. If you're lucky, a fox will come along and eat the dead mouse during the night and leave the trap.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:57 PM

If you put some snakes in your back yard, they will eat the mice. Snakes are also completely natural, so you don't have to worry about using something poisonous where your dog might get it. :D :twisted: :twisted: ;-)
Old 05-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes rodent control puts poison in a enclosed box with just a small hole in either end, that is fastened in place, to keep out children and pets.

The only non poison I know of, are the rodent strips...but then you have to find a way of either letting them go or killing them.

Traps put in a wooden box, in a place your dog can't get to is another alternative.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Minda
If you put some snakes in your back yard, they will eat the mice. Snakes are also completely natural, so you don't have to worry about using something poisonous where your dog might get it. :D :twisted: :twisted: ;-)
SNAKES!!!!!! I had rather have a mouse than a snake. Get a cat and don't feed it, then it will get the mice.......
Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 PM

I feel for you. Put up an owl house, get a cat, and a snake, sing the song from the Lion King (The Circle of Life), tell yourself that as long as the rodent is outside it is better than in. Does anyone think this kind of sounds like the "Woman That Swallowed a Fly"?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Pam

I got some barn cats. Stupid things live on the front porch waiting for handouts. You can have my cats!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Granna of 5
Originally Posted by Minda
SNAKES!!!!!! I had rather have a mouse than a snake. Get a cat and don't feed it, then it will get the mice.......
you might have to feed it some to keep it around, but if it's a feisty cat, it will go after small moving :shock: :shock: :shock: objects...and why did I just have to open this thread and HELP?
I have been told I am so helpful I don't always take care of meece-self. Hmmm, but nobody here would ever think of luring Mousie into a trap...although peanut butter is a real favorite.
Did these mice have little vests on? smell like spaghetti or lasagna? ;)
Old 05-25-2010, 08:17 PM

Since all the mice are dead, it may be a stray cat killing them and bringing them to you as a gift. Cats will do that. YUK
Carol B