Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My faith in people has been restored

Last week a 50ish year old man came to my door and asked if he could rake the leaves in my front yard. Said he'd do a good job, needed money for his family. I said I only had a few dollars in my wallet (I had forgotten that I took some cash out a few days before.) I told him I'd give him some food to take home, (growing up, mom always told me, never turn someone away who asks for food), but he was on his bicycle and he needed feminine products for his wife and teen girls. I felt so bad - it was cold and drizzly. I told him I'd give him whatever was in my wallet. That's when I found the little bit of cash I had taken out. I gave him $15 (that left me with $3) and told him he didn't have to rake the leaves. I kept thinking about this guy and just knew I'd been taken. But I'd rather be taken than turn someone away that was really needy.
    Well, he just showed up at my door and is mowing the yard and bagging up the leaves (he has one of those catchers on the mower). He dragged the mower, gas can, etc. behind his bike (still no car). My faith in people is renewed!

What an awesome story! Sometimes people do surprise us.

That man's mama raised him right. I feel bad for him. I hope you have some more cash. If I were close by I would give you some for him.

It's nice when surprises are good. My heart goes out the people who now have the need to do whatever is necessary for their loved ones. His parents should be proud of the son they raised.

That's a sweet story. You are a love to give the man the $ even though it left you short and he was an honest and decent man to return to do the yard work.

Blog Entries
    Bless you and him too (((HUGS))) :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    This is a nice story. HUGS to you and prayers to him and his family.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Heart warming story! Your mama would be proud of you!

Just about the time we are ready to give up and never open our door or our hearts, someone fills our soul with the wonder of life and humanity. You were blessed.....you got way more out of the deal than he did. :)

I wish more people were like him, it is all to easy over here, so very many go on the state benefit system and have no intention of working,( they can often get more money that way) it has got to the stage that three generations of a family have never worked..I realise sometimes it is genuine, but it is just too easy.. you wouldn't believe the range of work I have done to keep my family over the years so as not to rely on the state, until my health deteriorated just too much. I did volunteer work after that too.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast