View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
BarbaraTX

Last week a 50ish year old man came to my door and asked if he could rake the leaves in my front yard. Said he'd do a good job, needed money for his family. I said I only had a few dollars in my wallet (I had forgotten that I took some cash out a few days before.) I told him I'd give him some food to take home, (growing up, mom always told me, never turn someone away who asks for food), but he was on his bicycle and he needed feminine products for his wife and teen girls. I felt so bad - it was cold and drizzly. I told him I'd give him whatever was in my wallet. That's when I found the little bit of cash I had taken out. I gave him $15 (that left me with $3) and told him he didn't have to rake the leaves. I kept thinking about this guy and just knew I'd been taken. But I'd rather be taken than turn someone away that was really needy.
Well, he just showed up at my door and is mowing the yard and bagging up the leaves (he has one of those catchers on the mower). He dragged the mower, gas can, etc. behind his bike (still no car). My faith in people is renewed!