Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Momma has been bitten by the quilting bug! >

My Momma has been bitten by the quilting bug!

My Momma has been bitten by the quilting bug!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:06 AM

Default My Momma has been bitten by the quilting bug!

My Momma, at age 83, has decided she needs a new hobby and has decided that quilting will fill the bill. She's been calling me asking for advice and what she really needs to start up. I love it! She taught me to sew when I was 10 years old and has instilled a lifelong love of sewing...and by extension - quilting. I'm planning a trip to see her next month (I hope) and I can't wait to see what she's working on. I'm betting we'll all get some very nice Christmas gifts this year! Way to go, Momma!
Old 02-12-2014, 06:11 AM

Good for her. So glad you are able to share something so special with your Mom.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:29 AM

That is wonderful! Is she doing it on machine or by hand? I taught my Moma how to piece and quilt. She would always shop from my stash. We have several quilts that she made, and all are cherished!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 AM

That is great. My mom taught me the love of sewing and quilting. What a wonderful legacy to hand down.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:18 PM

Way to Go - never hurts to have another quilter in the family. Reminds me of when my friend had a niece visiting and it was on a weekend that we had a Sit n Sew scheduled. She told her sorry I have plans but you are welcome to come and visit with us. Well she did and we are sure she was thinking wow how much fun is that going to be - spending the day with a whole bunch of old ladies (normally she could talk her aunt into going shopping). Welll by lunch she was very interested and luckily we were right next to a Quilt Shop (what a coincidence) so we ended up going over there helping her pick out fabric and a pattern. NOW the really funny part is when she went back home her sister was picking her up at the airport and she went right up to her and said "guess what" WE have a new hobby, we are going to be quilters!!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

That is so cool you can share something with your mother. Have fun!!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:41 PM

God bless her! What a wonderful spirit she has. It will be fun for you both.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:53 PM

You are so lucky mom has caught on.. Sewing skipped a generation in my family.. My 83 yo mom goes to the gym, and exercises, and keeps her place immaculate.. I'm glad I didn't catch her exercise bug..
Old 02-13-2014, 04:32 AM

[QUOTE=AnnT;6570140]My Momma, at age 83, has decided she needs a new hobby and has decided that quilting will fill the bill. She's been calling me asking for advice and what she really needs to start up. I love it! She taught me to sew when I was 10 years old and has instilled a lifelong love of sewing...and by extension - quilting. I'm planning a trip to see her next month (I hope) and I can't wait to see what she's working on. I'm betting we'll all get some very nice Christmas gifts this year! Way to go, Momma![/QU

Your Mom has many years to quilt yet. My Mom died in July and was quilting up until last year. She was almost

97. God Bless your Mom and God Bless you for helping her. My mom was a real sharpie right up to the end (almost).

Edie
Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 AM

What a hoot! My mom taught me to sew and crochet and I taught her to knit. We had a great time together.