My new favorite author

Old 12-28-2016, 09:55 AM

I read mostly mysteries. Tons of mysteries. Currently, I"m reading one of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books, Never Look Back. The Reacher stories aren't for everyone but I love the classic American outsider/good guy types so I love these books.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:50 PM

I've just read One Second After and One Year After by William R. Forstchen. I'm waiting for The Final Day to come out this month. It's about a man who struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war that send our nation back to the Dark Ages due to a weapon called an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP). It was interesting for me because I began to bounce questions off my DH. He then read the first book and we spent several months playing "what if". A lot of reviewers thought the book was depressing but I didn't find it that way at all. It made me very glad for HVAC, hot water, microwaves, the dentist and the grocery store
Old 12-28-2016, 06:52 PM

My favorite author is Diana Gabaldon. She writes the "Outlader" books and the series on cable television. Started to watch the series but none of the actors seemed to be able to enunciate, and I could not figure out what they were saying. Oh well. I still love her books. About every five years or so, I re-read her books since my brain injury makes it impossible to remember them. Saves me lots of money on books. Lol!
Old 12-28-2016, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
My favorite author is Louise Penny whose mysteries are set in Quebec, just over the border from Vermont.
I love these books. I've read the whole series. I am so happy a new one is out. There is a simple, loving relationship amongst all the characters. It's amazing there is always a murder turning up in that lovely location!
Old 12-28-2016, 08:33 PM

I love James Lee Burke--particularly the Dave Robicheaux detective series of his. I've been listening to audio books of his with Will Patton as the reader while I sew. our local library does subscribe to the digital system so can download books, but I really like having a paper one! So are Cornelia Read mysteries like Evanovich's? And Edward Rutherford--those Ireland ones--more info please! I also really like Tanna French (Irish detective--but start with her first one Into the Wood as she introduces you to characters in a series) and Adrian McKinty Sean Duffy detective novels--Protestant detective in Belfast during the Troubles. I also like Louise Penny's.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I read mostly mysteries. Tons of mysteries. Currently, I"m reading one of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books, Never Look Back. The Reacher stories aren't for everyone but I love the classic American outsider/good guy types so I love these books.
You might also like Stephen Hunter's books--he wrote the ones that the movie and new tv series "Shooter" is based on.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 PM

I love all the books and authors recommended at different times on this site. I've really enjoyed the Louise Penny books...read them all and enjoy keeping up with the author on Facebook and her newsletter. Please keep all the suggestions coming.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:36 AM

I really enjoy Erik Larsen's books The Devil in the White City was the first one I read. His latest on the sinking of the Luisitania(sp?) was great.