My other hobby

Old 05-21-2016, 02:43 PM

Default My other hobby

So when I'm not quilting or working my dog, I am tending to my garden and working in my pond!

Here's some pics of my endeavours:

Dwarf iris's around my pond
My pussy willow tree
Boxes at the side of the house that have sunflowers growing - have to protect them from the squirrels
My pond side view
Pond - back view (landscaper is coming in next week to put patio stones down
Potatoes growing in a bag!

And the last pic - a little birdie fell out of its nest and landed in my backyard - BAD place to land ... my dog found it, and thankfully I was there to see her find it (she's got a pretty high prey drive) ... I moved him to my neighbour's backyard ... he was fine, could run and hop just not fly yet!

I don't know how to load a video ... but I have one on my facebook page for my garden: https://www.facebook.com/micheline.h...9671887652936/ My profile is totally public, so feel free to go and see!
Attached Thumbnails img_0620.jpg   img_0626.jpg   img_0627.jpg   img_0628.jpg   img_0629.jpg  

img_0630.jpg   img_0631.jpg   img_0622.jpg  

Last edited by MarionsQuilts; 05-21-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:58 PM

Your garden will be lovely. Please post more pictures as it matures. I'd love to see it. I'm envious. I am in an apartment now because I could no longer keep up with the maintenance. The only thing I miss is my garden.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

I LOVE pussywillows, they are so soft and pretty, Your pond is magnificent!! Ilove the drift wood.
do you have any advice for growing a pussywillow tree?
Old 05-21-2016, 05:12 PM

Wonderful garden, will be so beautiful when everything grows and blooms. I am jealous, I can't grow anything, plants die if I just walk by.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

Wow Marion. What a garden you have! Birdy looks like a robin to me. Bagged potatoes, what a great idea. I'm sure this keeps you very busy. Please keep posting as the season passes. I would love to see as it progresses.

I moved to a wooded area and gave up my cottage gardens years ago. I have my old farm pond to enjoy and all the woods as a wild garden. I also have a small meadow that I mow twice a year and love to watch all the animals that use it for food, nesting and even the deer will bed down in it.

Enjoy your gardens and don't forget to share a bit of them with us.
peace
lulu
Old 05-21-2016, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

Looks great. We had a mockingbird nest in our red tipped photinia. DH took a photo when he saw it early one morning with 3 eggs ready to hatch (cracks) by noon 2 chicks and a few minutes later all 3. So cute and 14 days later gone. Glad you were there to rescue. Anxious to see your garden in full bloom or nearly there! Love your pond.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
Wonderful garden, will be so beautiful when everything grows and blooms. I am jealous, I can't grow anything, plants die if I just walk by.
ok, onthriver, that's a funny one. I can't use it much because I have a very green thumb, but it makes me laugh. Great sense of humor.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:21 AM

Thanks for the comments! It is A LOT of work, as anyone who gardens understands.

But I so enjoy it. We have such short summers here in Ottawa that I have to be outside enjoying it somehow.

My neighbour is a tiny elderly Italian woman (she lives with her son) and the first year I dug up the grass she was mortified.

The second and third year she was livid because the yard was "an unsightly mess, and was bringing down property values" ... last year I hired a designer to help me plan the yard, and moved about 90% of the plants around the yard ... and this year is the end result!

I was out in the garden on Friday and she came over to chat and I ended up giving her a tour and she very happy with all my hard work ... I even planted two tomato plants between our properties that are exclusively for her. It took 5 years but she's finally come around.

I wish I was more in the country but I refuse to drive a long commute to work. I do 1/2 hour each way, and for me that's enough. I refuse to spend more time in my car than that!

Lynnie - I have no advice - I just bought it the other day, planted it and watered it and we'll see what happens. I'm a pretty "tough gardener" LOL .. I will buy a plant and know where it does best (sun / shade) and prepare everything and plant it. I'll do some basic maintenance (water, weeding), but otherwise, if it dies, it wasn't meant to be!

About 98% of my garden is made up of perennials because I have no desire to replant every year!

I do buy some annuals for around the pond, but otherwise, perennials all the way!

Happy weekend everyone!

Last edited by MarionsQuilts; 05-22-2016 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:49 AM

Great space you have made, I love it! Did you paint those milk cans or buy them that way? The only thing missing is a great lounge chair to sit in while sewing your binding! Great yard!
Old 05-22-2016, 05:57 AM

I loved that you're growing potato's in a bag. I had tons of reusable bags in my closet so decided rather then plant my large tomato plants in the raised bed, I would instead fill the bags 3/4 with store- bought garden soil and plant them in those bags and line them up along the fence so, when the plants reach their large size, I can tie them upright to the fence.

So far, so good they have already grown taller then the top of the bag and have only been in them since Friday. This is my experiment for the year with gardening and I do love all you're doing in your garden.