My Serger Saga

Old 06-20-2012, 07:20 AM

Default My Serger Saga

Okay -- this is a laugh on me............but hopefully, a lesson for you all.

Way back in 1987 or so, my then-DH bought me a Singer Serger. I could NOT get that dang thing to work right. Took it to the shop, told basically, that I was an idiot, refused to take it back. Loaned it to my mother....she had it for 2 yrs, couldn't get it to work. Loaned it to my girlfriend who had it for so many years she swore she didn't have it!!!! Finally, one day, her husband asked what she was going to do with my serger!!! It had gotten stored in one of their THREE garages... (that's a whole different story..LOL)....So now I've had it back for 5 years. I was telling fellow quilter my problems with it....she said she'd look it over. I got it out yesterday, my NOW-DH started looking it over, cleaning it, greasing it.....and low and behold he RE-THREADED it!!! It works beautifully!!!!!!! Seems we ALL had it threaded wrong!!!!!!!! ROL............Okay --- so I'm not mechanically inclined............I'm sure glad I didn't take it to our local repairman to have it "fixed".....he already thinks I'm really blond!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 AM

What is it with men??? I got a serger and just left it out looking "pretty" for at least 6 months. I took it to my little sewing group where a woman was sure she could get it threaded and I came home with out it being threaded. My BF asked why I hadn't been using it and I said that it was hard to thread. Within 3 minutes, he had it threaded and was trying it out! That stupid thing (the serger) really intimidates me and I thought I would be using it all the time. One thing I know, I will never un-thread it!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:15 PM

Time to buy a self threading Baby Lock! Kicked my Bernina out the door!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 PM

My Brother Serger intimidated me so much that I told my DIL to take it and use it. She threaded it up and went to sewing. Made several outfits for my grandchildren!! Then she brought it back home because she got a new machine and said she didn't have room for it. Well, it sat and I just looked at it...too scared to use it. I sold it!!! Now this is someone who has multiple machines including embroidery machines. Of course, I was afraid to use my embroidery machine until she came over and said "let's get it set up". Within an hour, she was embroidering!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 AM

Nanamoms --- these younger kids nowadays are such "know-it-alls"...ROL -- I feel like my grandmother --- she said the electric typewriter intimidated her!!!!! And my other grandmother was afraid of the telephone, for goodness sakes!!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 AM

I have my sister's old serger and I too was afraid of it. Threading it requires you to become a contortionist! I attend a sewing bee each week and one of the ladies there helped me thread it correctly and adjust the tensions. Then I splurged and treated it to a 'spa' treatment at my LQS - so it's all cleaned and lubricated. I don't use it often but at least I'm not as scared of it as I was. Oh, and NEVER unthread it - just clip the thread and tie the new one on and let it feed through till it's past the needle. They are a bugger to thread - that is for sure! I'm going to try making a pillow case on it next! Wish me luck.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:17 AM

Well I have a Janome serger and love it...can't thread it either, but hubby can and does when needed..I use a nuetral color thread for everything....

I use mine for pillowcases all the time. makes them more sturdy...

Last edited by sewmuch; 06-21-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:48 AM

It took me working a summer at a Sewing machine store to get acquainted with sergers. I LOVE mine now that I can thread it properly.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:52 AM

Glad to know I'm not alone in my fear of sergers. Have had one for several years and taken several classes, still not comfortable with it. Very little intimidates me, but those funny little machines have done so.