Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need fabric buying help (non quilting related)...

I am looking for bulk nylon for a very random reason. We just built a house and have an unfinished basement which includes exposed insulation so to save costs we figured for now we could just staple nylon to the rafters to cover it up. I figured it would be pretty easy to find it on the bolt, but no luck so far. Maybe I just don't have the right wording?? Anyone know where I can find it and how much? If not, any other ideas??

Years ago when I worked at Joann's, you could find some cheap nylon there, especially in their clearance section.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    Years ago when I worked at Joann's, you could find some cheap nylon there, especially in their clearance section.
    I wonder if there would be enough. I would have to cover 1200 sq ft. essentially. I was hoping for white just to brighten up the area.

Blog Entries
    are you looking for ripstop nylon fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Yes :thumbup: they have 60" at Joanns for $7 a yard, but when I need around 80 yards that will get pretty pricey...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moonangel12
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Yes :thumbup: they have 60" at Joanns for $7 a yard, but when I need around 80 yards that will get pretty pricey...
    What about voile curtaining (net ?) That would come wider, but I have no idea what it might cost in the US.

I would take a look at using nylon tricot--would be MUCH cheaper! I used to make lingerie--it was about $2 per yard wholesale and think was 90" wide....another option would be the curtain lining fabric...bet you might find bolts on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    I would take a look at using nylon tricot--would be MUCH cheaper! I used to make lingerie--it was about $2 per yard wholesale and think was 90" wide....another option would be the curtain lining fabric...bet you might find bolts on eBay
    I have no idea what tricot is... what's the difference between that and ripstop? I know I don't want the mesh type b/c the point is to try and contain the fiberglass so it can't fall down or fall apart since we will likely be spending a LOT of time down there. I have my craft area, DH has his fishing area, and I am setting up a homeschooling "corner" for this winter.

Tricot is what lots of nighties are made from--you can get heavier tricot.Some is very light---Look at canvas, too--I once bought a bolt on eBay for $30 +shipping...sometimes the larger deorators supplies have fabric for $1-4 per yard....

If I can get 108" width, with my quick calculations I would only need around 50 yards. I think I found a posting for $1 a yard on ebay which is at least worth a shot I guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast