Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
need help with bathroom colors >

need help with bathroom colors

need help with bathroom colors

Old 09-01-2010, 06:30 PM

Here is my new cabinets in my bathroom, you can sort of see the floor too. I think the grey on grey sponge paint walls have to go, maybe not, but need help deciding how to paint, since the new mirrors don't cover the old spot and around the tub was re-drywalled. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

new
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109155[/ATTACH]

old
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109156[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109150.jpe   attachment-109151.jpe  
Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 PM

Beautiful cabinets and remodel! :thumbup: I agree, you probably should paint the walls. What's your favorite color? I would go to the paint store and look at the little brochures and paint samples, bring them home and see what goes will with the cabinets & floor. Possibly use a light shade of your favorite color and then a dark shade of that same color for towels.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 PM

What a wonderful upgrade. Just beautiful. I think grays would look nice, maybe accent with black towels. Whatever you love.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:00 PM

My two cents worth: pick a colour that is flattering to your skin tone. No matter how fashionable, green will make you put on too much makeup to compensate for the reflected light in your bathroom. Warm candlelight colours would look great with your woodwork and floor, or maybe a quiet tan or red-based taupe. If you have kids/dogs/mess to contend with, dark towels are lovely. On the other hand, white is timeless and you can bleach it. If you have natural light in the room, you may also want to think about which direction the light comes from. Go to a good paint store and pick their brains. Flip through some magazines and look at bathrooms that have cabinet work similar in colour to yours to get ideas. Whatever you do, take the time and put up with the nuisance of doing some test patches. It's always worth it. If you find something you love in a paint strip and you just can't stand to do the test patches, get a shade or two lighter than the colour you think you want. When it is on the walls it will 'read' as the colour you originally wanted. Light or dark, the effect will intensify in a small space. If you find a lovely light flattering shade, do the ceiling the same for a seamless look that will flatter you from every ange and expand the sense of volume in the space. You've done a wonderful job on this space. Look in your closet an think about the colours that look great on you. That's a great way to pick a colour scheme for your accessories. Another suggestion: all the major paint lines have very interactive web sites. You can load your own pictures into most of them, and then test their colours on your own walls. Some allow you to test with daylight or artificial light so you can find something that will look good in both.
Have fun. Sorry this is so long. This is so my kind of project!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Batik the walls! Get some cheap spongee brushes and gum arabic or masking fluid from the art store. Use stencils of your choice with the mask instead of paints, with a nearly dry brush - streaks are fine. When dry, apply color(s) of your choice on top, then peel off the masking. Match drawer pulls and cabinet knobs to match.

Think about some metallic accents to bounce some light back into the toilet area, since the drops will be obscured. Usually, I would suggest mirrors, but that could be scary there. LOL!!!

You can come here and practice on mine first.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 PM

As an amateur woodworker, I'd suggest that you get some more wood that matches that lovely stuff you have in your bathroom.
Either make or have made some frames for your mirrors to cover the same, or slightly more, area than the old one did.

That, with the pale and warm colors will make that a Home Beautiful show place.

I'm envious of your new room!!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 PM

If it is close to your bedroom, maybe a coordinating color, neutrals earth tones or spa colors would be soothing.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 PM

I'd go with the lovely colors in your tile! They are warm neutrals that will look great with the gorgeous new cabinets. The gray is too harsh to 'feel' good, but the browns/beiges will tone in nicely. You can pick up the lighter shades for your walls then use some of the darker tones for trim. This way, whatever color towels, bathmat, etc. you choose now or several years from now will still look great as well. It will also allow you to easily do holiday decorating if you so desire. (My bath has similar blues to the ones you replaced and holiday decor that looks good with that blue is quite limited, as I'm sure you are aware!)
Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM

I picked I think it was called crooked willow. I think it will bring the tile colors up... we'll see.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 PM

I'd do a very pale peach on the walls and decorate the room in peaches and pale blues. Your cabinets are a sand color, the floors are the color of beach pebbles, and the peach and blue would contribute to make a warm, sunny feel.

My other thought was a golden yellow for the walls and many shades of green for decorative items to give an herbal or woodsy feel to the room.