Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Colors Colors so many Colors

Colors Colors so many Colors

It's time to paint my sewing room again, but I'm stumped as to which color to paint it. I had a nice sage green for a few years and really like it, but now I have that color in the hallway and den so it's out. The latest color was sort of a dusty pink which looked nice enough however, the pink did seem to show up on some of my lighter fabrics, making me thing I must have been totally in luv with pink at one time. My neighbor finally told me it was the paint that was making everything take on a pink cast.

So my question is other than white, which is a bit sterile looking to me, what color do you think is best for a sewing room. The floor is a LVP in a medium dark tone with white woodwork. I only have one window in the room so I can't go to dark on the paint. Pictures of your recommendations would be great and if you can please include paint brand and color number. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    I aspire to inspire before I expire. LT

Blog Entries
    I painted my bedroom a cool, lavender blue, not a dark shade -it's fairly light...I find it really calming.
    *this space for rent*

I vote for a white.

Our sewing room is a pale mint green.

Name:  IMG_0770.JPG
Views: 2387
Size:  1.30 MB

If I were starting over today I would probably pick a pale turquoise or periwinkle.

There is so much more that goes into paint color selection. It's a process for sure and there can be lots of misses. What direction does the window face? You will have different lighting at different times of day. Is the flooring cool or warm in tone? What is your color tolerance? Are there any window treatments to consider? What type/kind of lighting is in the room? Do you want neutral or colors?

I suggest a visit to the paint store with a sample of the flooring and or window treatments. Ask for a fan deck. Look at the origin of the color swatch usually at the bottom.

Take numerous swatches that interest you. When you find two or three get samples made. Paint two coats on foam boards. Different colors on each board. Don't paint on current wall color as it doesn't reflect the true color.

Best wishes on color selection. I am trying to decide a new color too.

PS: Did you like the new flooring?

Rhonda K, thanks for all the great advice, I will visit our local paint dealer and take a sample of the flooring but as for window treatment I really don't have any. I have a small cornice board at the top of the window, because I wanted to let as much natural light in as possible. I will change the fabric covering on the cornice to compliment the wall color once I have selected one. Selecting paint color is my weakest point. I see a shade in the paint store and think it is perfect but when I get it on the wall it always looks different.

I do love the new flooring. It has a lot of variances and just enough texture to avoid being to slick. The light plays beautifully on it. I can highly recommend Coretec Plus 5 Gold Coast Acacia.

Oh and Wesing, your quilt is very pretty and your little model is even prettier.

Blog Entries
    I also chose a mint green. I thought it was too bright when I first applied it to the walls but when the flooring and furniture went in it took on a different look. Name:  E6CE1826-CDF2-4101-BDD7-B167B0CA7932.jpeg
Views: 2348
Size:  96.7 KBName:  67E059E7-CE0D-402B-B8CA-3B7FB5A76190.jpeg
Views: 2347
Size:  96.6 KBAnd the color does change throughout the day depending on where the sun is coming in.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    Benjamin Moore “Costal Fog” is such a great color to live with. It changes with the light. It is a grayish green and I love it.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    It is cloudy out today. I hope you can see the color.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Power Poster
    You might check to see what color(s) art galleries paint their walls. (I have not been to many, so not an expert on that)

I have been to the Quilt Museum in Paducah, Ky - and the walls were sort of a medium light color that I wuuld consider sort of "yucky" by itself, but the quilts looked great against them.

Years ago in a magazine, they listed a color from a major brand that was a good color for a sewing room. So off I went to buy it as I was moving into this house and I was a new quilter. Well, it was yellow, but Holy Cow, was it yellow! So I decided to go way down the color chart to a yellow I could live with. Now I still have yellow but it’s lighter still. I would suggest you go first to a color you really love and see if the light from the windows work with it.

I chose a pale yellow called Banana Cream by Behr. My sewing room is flooded with natural daylight because it faces east, so this shade of yellow is cheery. Without the ample sunshine, it would probably be too yellow for my taste.

Here's a picture of my sewing room (after a hearty cleaning and organizing, mind you--not my typical creative trainwreck).

https://www.quiltingboard.com/missio...e-t283623.html

Of course color is a personal choice, but my suggestion would be robin's egg blue, and perhaps one of the walls could be butter cream yellow. It would be cheerful. I have my sewing room painted sage green right now, but I'm thinking about repainting it too--either the colors I just suggested, or maybe a pretty bright coral.

Statesville, NC formerly Orlando, FL and surrounding area
    I was in Home Depot the other day and noticed they have clear plastic sheets that can be painted and put on the wall to help determine if you like the color. They are about 9"x12" and come in a package of three (I think). They were at the customer service counter where they mix the paint in my store. I don't remember the price.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

My friend painted her sewing room a very light yellow and it is beautiful. Kinda brightens up everything and she only had one small window in there. Keep us posted as to what color you decide. Anxious to see a picture.

I chose a cool color green-Spinach Green! Very light and airy feeling!
    Some people know how to put a blessing into any situation!

My sewing room is an off white shade that I think was called "Magnolia". I have so much stuff in my sewing room with shelves to the ceiling on 2 walls and the design wall that you really don't see a lot of the walls. Also, I wanted a neutral backdrop so that it wouldn't affect my color sight. It's the only room in my house that is truly a neutral. I'm not fond of neutrals, but it seems to work best for when I'm working with colors.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Sewing Senior,

When you get the chips you like post a pic or two here if you can. Do you want a grayed down color or a brighter clearer color? I mainly use Sherwin paint brand. Any store has the formula for other companies so they can mix it too. Be sure to ask them to dry a sample so you aren't surprised. It should be fairly close to your paint chip.

Your flooring is gorgeous. Nice warm tones on the golden side. Look at SW paint color 6218 Tradewind. I have used it before and it is a pretty color. It is a little muted. SW 6477 Tidewater is also pretty. Less muted than than 6218.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ngColors&p=PS0

If you want tan try a golden one not a pink tan. Most of all have fun deciding!

JMoore, Your color is beautiful and a perfect example of not defaulting to plain white. It makes a gorgeous room that hopefully reflects your color personality.

Blog Entries
    I’m in process of redoing garage into sewing studio n I’m putting bright white metal siding on walls n on ceiling. Everything will be enclosed. Only 1 wall will not have it as it is a siding on the house I plan to paint Am looking at carpet on floor as is concrete n would be hard for me to be standing on. 2 large 4 by 3 ft windows on either side of door facing south n door has half moon window up top. Plus I had daughter got to menards n buy 6 shop lights 4800 lumen led lights to hang from ceiling. It is already brighter in there with just a light bulb

Blog Entries
    Name:  AEF18C6E-6CE5-49DD-AAAE-1B98BA5EB9E3.jpeg
Views: 1965
Size:  1.75 MBName:  0455ED2E-3198-44FA-AF6F-885D8B49FDE0.jpeg
Views: 1975
Size:  1.80 MBName:  638F7002-E3DC-4B72-80FE-C7ABD3B3BE0B.jpeg
Views: 1978
Size:  1.45 MB

Blog Entries
    They have yet to seal a part of roof that came apart during tornado. Then insulate ceiling. Door is outside and the windows are custom made n takes 3 weeks. They should be ready next week

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is painted a color called “pale vanilla”. It is about the color of natural cream (maybe just a tad darker), but lighter than most vanilla ice cream. I like it because it does not make it hard to match colors, and it is not the stark white I had to live with for years as a renter. I added an Ott light, and I can now see to sew anything.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

You might find this interesting: How paint color affects your mood:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...nt=firefox-b-1

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    I also chose a mint green.
    I love your sewing space, the beautiful color and so many nooks. I'm drooling over this room.

Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
    Benjamin Moore “Costal Fog” is such a great color to live with. It changes with the light. It is a grayish green and I love it.
    Coastal Fog 976 is defiantly a possibility. So glad you attached your picture, seeing it on a real wall really makes a difference. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast