Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Colors Colors so many Colors

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I have been to the Quilt Museum in Paducah, Ky - and the walls were sort of a medium light color that I wuuld consider sort of "yucky" by itself, but the quilts looked great against them.
    I have family living not far from Paducah, maybe it's time for a little family reunion. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I aspire to inspire before I expire. LT

Wannabee Quilting, Zozee, Jordan and Madamekelly, I love yellow, however here in TX it gets really hot in the summer and yellow is a warm color, so I try not to use it. And with the white woodwork I don't think the white shades would be enough contrast, although I would love them if I had stained wood instead. Thanks for suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
    Of course color is a personal choice, but my suggestion would be robin's egg blue,
    I love your site name. I have used the term so-n-so all my life but I have to say not always in a pleasant fashion, but I'll have to remember you from now on and know there is one really nice SewingSew around, LOL. Thanks for mentioning robins egg blue. Do you have a favorite brand and color name?

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    I was in Home Depot the other day and noticed they have clear plastic sheets
    Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.

Jules51 and cashs_mom, thanks for the suggestions, however I have green in the hall and den and also white woodwork so I need/want to introduce a new color if I can find the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
    I’m in process of redoing garage into sewing studio
    Wow, there is fixing up a space and then there is starting from scratch. Oh my what a project you have going. I can't wait to see more pictures as you progress along. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by mindless View Post
    You might find this interesting:
    Yes I did find the article very interesting. Some of the information I had heard before, but there was tons of new stuff I would not have imagined. Thanks for sharing the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Sewing Senior, When you get the chips you like post a pic or two here if you can.
    Can my Mother adopt you? I soooo need a sister that knows all of the stuff you talk about, as well as one that will tell me I made the right choice on a major home improvement item. I don't mind missing the mark on a couple cans of paint, but if I had made a bad choice on the flooring I would have died right there on the stop. Thanks for keeping me alive, lol.

Sherwin Williams is my go to brand also. We have had a contractor's account with them for years so I have a little extra incentive. We used their Empire Gold in my offices (formally the living room and dining room) and we love the way it looks with the same flooring as my sewing room. Name:  DSCN6132.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  220.9 KB

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice, please keep 'em coming. I need all the help I can get.

That is some gorgeous color fun in your rooms. Nice that we speak the same color language (brands). They keep trying to get my old fan decks. LOL.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    I also chose a mint green. I thought it was too bright when I first applied it to the walls but when the flooring and furniture went in it took on a different look. Attachment 596155Attachment 596156And the color does change throughout the day depending on where the sun is coming in.
    That is the color I have in my living room. I just love it, since my furniture is OD green and cranberry with cranberry carpet. I have an area rug that pulls the colors together.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I loved the green with the furniture. I wish I could change the color of my sewing studio but it is an open floor plans so I would have to paint the whole floor and no, it isn't worth it. I just put lots of fun things on the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    I also chose a mint green. I thought it was too bright when I first applied it to the walls but when the flooring and furniture went in it took on a different look. Attachment 596155Attachment 596156And the color does change throughout the day depending on where the sun is coming in.

I painted mine white, then the ceiling green and the wood work green. I have no windows.
    BJ

Quote Originally Posted by SewingSenior View Post
    Wannabee Quilting, Zozee, Jordan and Madamekelly, I love yellow, however here in TX it gets really hot in the summer and yellow is a warm color, so I try not to use it. And with the white woodwork I don't think the white shades would be enough contrast, although I would love them if I had stained wood instead. Thanks for suggestions.
    Certainly understandable. The warmth is something I crave after our long Maryland winters. I just repainted another bedroom (hubby calls it my sewing annex ). It's on the north side, and my kids lived at home, I let them choose their own room colors (within reason) . My boys always chose blue. Can you say "cold"? I repainted it a warm white called Cottage White. And now I love it!

I've had pink, sage and yellow. Right now it is a really pretty light shade of aqua.

After hours of looking at Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, Home Depot (Behr) and a couple other sites and going over pictures of color after color, I decided you ladies/guys here on QB were on the right track with color suggestions. I narrowed my field down to these three paint colors, all Sherwin Williams.

Tradewind - SW-6218
    https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ngColors&p=PS0

Tidewater - SW-6477

Embellished Blue - SW-6749

With the blue/gray or blue/green shades in my head I went in search of bedding for the daybed that that has to stay in my sewing room. I started this morning about 6:30am and I finally placed an order about 15 minutes ago (it's now 6:23pm). As fate would have it none of my 3 paint colors above will work with the bedding, which is called aqua although it doesn't look like aqua on my computer screen.

Thank goodness for computerized paint color machines. When the bedding arrives I will take it down to the paint dealer and have them match the color. Can't wait to get this project finished so I can do what you're suppose to do in a sewing room...S E W...

Finished project pictures to come in about 2 weeks (hey I'm old and slow remember, lol)

Yay on your success and progress. I would be happy to come and help you paint and even cut in. LOL. It's my therapy. I once chased down a wall color that our attorney used in his office.

Please show us pics when you finish. We want to see the pretty color.

Thanks for the offer to come help Rhonda K, what time does your plane land? LOL.

I am getting excited about finishing up this project. We started the office area in mid March so three months of having the house in disarray is starting to wear on my nerves. But there is light at the end of the tunnel or else that's God's light telling me this project is going to be the death of me yet, LOL.

I wanted to throw another neutral "not white" color out there for your consideration - Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6106-kilim-beige#/6106/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

https://www.google.com/search?q=sherwin+williams+kilim+beige&client=firef ox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjc86f00uzbA hUK3IMKHRv6DnEQ_AUICigB&biw=1047&bih=445

This was recommended to me by a painting contractor friend and it's become my go-to paint - it's a beige that has NO weird undertones. No green, pink, or yellow, so it works wonderfully with just about any other color that you want to use with it. I've used it with red, blue, AND green, and it looks great with all of them. I also have white woodwork in my house and it looks very clean and crisp with it.
    Last edited by SherylM; 06-24-2018 at 07:57 AM.
    Sheryl

I just found this one - Benjamin Moore Manchester Tan - that looks like it would go well with the colors that you want to use.

https://www.postcardsfromtheridge.co...min-moore.html
    Sheryl

Blog Entries
    I have been repainting our cottage. I do not have the paint name, but is a very creamy white. Not stark white at all. And not yellow.

The cottage does not get much light, small windows except on the North side (View side). A winter tenant had painted the bedroom dark pink, and a lighter pink in the kitchen other bedroom closet and 2 walls in the bathroom. The Dark pink make the one bedroom feel like a cave.

The creamy colour reflects light, but is not harsh.

I need to paint my living, dining rooms and hall. I am thinking of using the same paint.

I have very pale yellow in my sewing space that has a north facing window. It makes it much brighter.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

SheryIM that is a very nice beige from Sherwin as is the one from Benjamin and if I don't have any luck with the blue/gray/green idea then I will defiantly give the beiges a try. Funny story about the color beige, I wanted a beige color in our bedroom so off to Sherwin William I go. After a few hours of pouring over paint strips I find the perfect color and buy 2 gallons. We cheerfully start painting and as the paint drys it gets pinker and pinker but it did have a brown undertone. The next day when we were finished my DH looks around and says "I'm not sure I can sleep in a chocolate/strawberry milk shake." LOL But he got over it the room has been a milk shake for over 7 years. That room has been on our "To reDo" list for a while now.

Tothill, to have a cottage in BC would be heaven. Even if it was painted psychedelic purple I'd still love it. No offense to psychedelic purple lovers, I would love to see pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingSenior View Post
    SheryIM that is a very nice beige from Sherwin as is the one from Benjamin and if I don't have any luck with the blue/gray/green idea then I will defiantly give the beiges a try. Funny story about the color beige, I wanted a beige color in our bedroom so off to Sherwin William I go. After a few hours of pouring over paint strips I find the perfect color and buy 2 gallons. We cheerfully start painting and as the paint drys it gets pinker and pinker but it did have a brown undertone. The next day when we were finished my DH looks around and says "I'm not sure I can sleep in a chocolate/strawberry milk shake." LOL But he got over it the room has been a milk shake for over 7 years. That room has been on our "To reDo" list for a while now.
    Yeah, that's the thing about undertones...you never know until you get it on your wall, in your house, with your lighting. In fact, after I posted, I realized that I should have said that there are no weird undertones in MY house, but YMMV!

The walls in my kitchen, dining room, and hallway used to be painted Sherwin Williams Yellowware - a happy yellow that looked great in my north facing kitchen, but incandescent lighting and the light in my south facing dining room made it look like radioactive sinus infection yellow! Horrible green undertones. My painter friend told me about Benjamin Moore Hawthorne yellow - it looks very similar to the other yellow, but has gray undertones and it's perfect! Soft, creamy, happy yellow. I love it.

When I was looking for a beige paint, I bought a bunch of samples and slapped them up on the walls. It was a frustrating process - some turned green, some looked like bandaids, some looked like jaundice - until my painter friend again came to my rescue! We're getting our house ready to sell it and many of the rooms have been painted Kilim beige, but not because "they" say to paint the walls neutral colors when you sell, it's because I like it so much!

Looking forward to seeing how your room turns out!
    Last edited by SherylM; 06-24-2018 at 02:52 PM.
    Sheryl

Have you decided yet?

Darcyshannon, I thought I had it narrowed down but when the new bedding arrived it was no where near the color I thought is was going to be, so I'm back to square one again. Now I'm trying to decide if I should return the bedding and try something else or try and find a color I can live with that will compliment this bedding. I think I'll give up on trying to order from the internet and start hitting the stores, here in Dallas we only a few choices, oh like maybe 500 stores, LOL. And so the search goes on and on and on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast