Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help with pictures on quilts >

Need help with pictures on quilts

Need help with pictures on quilts

Old 08-07-2014, 11:27 AM

Default Need help with pictures on quilts

Right now I am so disoriented that I am spitting nails. I need pictures to put on GGDs softball quilt, and went sashaying into the local office supply store; and came out with my blood pressure steaming. They sell all the stuff you need for doing the pictures, but they won't do the copying for you--they can't put that through their machinery
Do I have anyone in the peanut gallery who might be able to point me in the right direction? I have a Canon printer for my computer, but it does not scan, it is only a printer from my computer and very easy to use. I have four 3x5 snapshots and copies of the softball equipment, etc. that she used that I want to scatter around her T-shirt which is zigzagged onto the piece of fabric that she selected for her quilt to be made out of. Sounds simple, huh? Well, it did in my head when I was working on ideas for her quilt--she is 10, so I can't run any kind of excuse in on her. Can I? What to do, what to do?????

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-07-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: remove consumer complaint
Old 08-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Could you maybe get the office supply store to do the scanning for you and put the images on a disc, and then you can bring it home and print it?

I wonder if maybe a poster printing shop would be more liberal? Might not hurt to call around office supply stores and printing shops. Kinko's turned into FedEx Offices, maybe try there too?
Old 08-07-2014, 01:23 PM

OK - it is true they can't put them through their machines. All of the packages that I have seen say to NOT use them with Laser printers which is what the Office Supply/Copy shops have. Do you have anyone that has an inkjet printer that is also a copier? If so you can do it that way, if not you can have the office supply/copy shop scan them in for you and then print on your printer.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

yep ink jet printers only. long, long ago i had a printing place do mine for me. they were a bit stiffish like the Malls would do when making a t-shirt for you. Now they have bubble jet wash and bubble jet set to use, or you can buy fabric made for this already treated.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:11 AM

I have been told that Walgreens can do this. Took a class at a quilting expo and the lady said she took photos and a high count piece of cotton or a high count pillowcase and told Walgreens what size of photos she wanted to print on the fabric and they did it. I believe she got 6 pictures printed on fabric for about $30. She had purchased the fabric sheets that go in her printer but wasn't satisfied with them and they faded. No fading with the Walgreen fabric prints. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:21 AM

Can you enlarge the pictures to whatever size you need on you Canon? If you can, do that and make a print in whatever size you need. Then cut a piece of freezer paper to a standard 8 1/2 by 11 inch size and iron it the back of the fabric you want to print on and run it through your Canon. I haven't done tea shirt fabric but it works brilliantly with cotton. When using cotton I often just iron the top couple if inches or so to stabilize the fabric as it starts to go through the printer. I use a Canon printer as well. If my method doesn't work for you, go to the Canon website. They have great technical support.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:00 AM

Try a regular print shop.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

The fabric needs different prep depending on whether you are using a laser or inkjet printer. You can Google to find the differences. If you use the wrong kind of printer on the prepared fabric, it will not be permanent!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:49 AM

Have you considered using your camera on your cell phone to photograph the pictures, and emailing them to yourself? I do this all the time with pictures that I like online. I am very careful to respect copyright laws, but sometimes there is a part of a picture that I want to try and copy the color of, or use as inspiration for a craft idea. I carry a small notebook and note where the pictures are from, so if I do want to use someone's whole photo, I can contact them to ask permission.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Golly, thanks, All of you. I am going to print this off, and work my way through 'til I get what I want. I didn't have any idea that Walgreen's would do this; I have a good friend in the Walgreen's photo part, so I expect that is where I'll end up getting the most help.

And, madamekelly, my cell phone is from about 6 or 8 years ago, flip open type, so the answer won't be there for me. Hhahahaha.