Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas >

Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas

Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas

Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Default Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas

I have read that putting some vinegar and water in a spray bottle and misting the dogs body helps. Has anyone else had results with this. Do you have something else that you do? We have put salt on the carpet, but it is supposed to take about 3 days.

Thanks so much.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM

Default Feel Your Pain

Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
I have read that putting some vinegar and water in a spray bottle and misting the dogs body helps. Has anyone else had results with this. Do you have something else that you do? We have put salt on the carpet, but it is supposed to take about 3 days.

Thanks so much.
We have been fighting fleas on our little Maltese which he got while we were in Texas. We did so many things!
He had a pill from the vet that kills fleas within ten minutes. Then we put on a monthly type repellant, plus several baths. But we must have still had the eggs because he still had fleas. So we bought a flea shampoo. Got home still had fleas, then took him to the groomer and my husband bought Sentry Home and Carpet spray from Walmart which he just sprayed on carpet. Finally we think they are gone but we are still paranoid about it! Anyway, the thing was I didn't want to do the "bomb" thing and I think we won! (Plus all kinds of wahing his bedding, etc. and him) What a nightmare!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:56 PM

I used Dawn classic. Got rid of the fleas.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:58 PM

I've also heard that and am experimenting with this also. I also put vinegar in my dog's water that I had to his dry dog food. This, too, is supposed to keep fleas away and improve digestion. My dog seems to like the flavored liquid in her dry food. I sure hope this works!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:18 PM

The vinegar and water thing will only make the fleas jump off of your animal, it doesn't kill them. Salt in the carpets does work provided that the animal is free of fleas and not bringing fleas into the house. You have to treat the pet, your home, and the pet's bedding all at the same time. Wash the bedding in hot soapy water in the washing machine and run it through the dryer. Wash the pet in a flea and tick shampoo (this is often harder to do with cats than with dogs). Vaccume every area of your home, including under furniture, in sofa cushions, in cracks, crevices, and baseboards, and vaccume the closets. Empty the contents of your vaccume cleaner outside as adult fleas can and will escape from the vaccume. Salt the carpets, approximately 1 box for every good sized room. With small rooms, you can use 1/2 box. Stomp or walk the salt deep into the carpet and let it remain there for 1 week. Also, treat your yard, one of the best things to use is lime. The kind of lime that gardeners put into their gardens, it's white and comes in about 50lb bags and is spread using a garden spreader. Not very expensive and safe around pets and people. After a week vaccume the entire house again and toss the contents outside. Wash the pet and their bedding again. And I'd recommend a good flea collar or something like Frontline for the pet if they are both indoor and outdoor.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:25 PM

I had trouble with fleas on my dog and used all the things you did and more . It was very sad to see her itching all the time but after i used the Blue Dawn I don't see any more fleas and she seems comfortable. I have my fingers crossed that it did the trick! Wishing you luck! Lorraine
Old 04-04-2012, 05:31 PM

I completely agree with homeschoolmom. Fleas are like lice and you have to treat everything in the house. You have to get rid of live fleas and treat the eggs. I've been through fleas and lice both. No fun! We have a prescription from our vet that covers heart worm, fleas, ticks, etc.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by lorraine43 View Post
I had trouble with fleas on my dog and used all the things you did and more . It was very sad to see her itching all the time but after i used the Blue Dawn I don't see any more fleas and she seems comfortable. I have my fingers crossed that it did the trick! Wishing you luck! Lorraine
Okay, does the dog get a bath with the dish liquid? Is there something about Dawn that is different from others?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:13 PM

To kill the fleas in your carpet and other things, Diamateous Earth, very similar to the stuff used in pool filters. It dries out their bodies and eggs. Get the organic kind, doesn't include Silicon dioxide which is hard on the lungs.

To keep fleas off your dog once they have been dipped or other treatment, cider vinegar in the water, crushed matchheads and garlic in their food.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM

I had done everything last summer for my cats. Nothing worked. Two are alergic to any kind of insectiside. Dawn is the best thing I have used and I spray the carpets with the Enforcer from Wal Mart. The cats are doing much better and I use a flea comb on them to get the fleas that remain off. I also found if you put a white bowl with a little water and a couple of drops of dish soap on your floor at night with a small llight over it the fleas will go in and drown! I paid $30 bucks for the Black Jack flea Beacon and all it cought was a couple of flies, a couple of crickets and my little cat who was after the crickets and flies (twice)! Bowl of water worked much better and it was FREE!!!! LOL