Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas >

Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas

Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas

Old 04-07-2012, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I completely agree with homeschoolmom. Fleas are like lice and you have to treat everything in the house. You have to get rid of live fleas and treat the eggs. I've been through fleas and lice both. No fun! We have a prescription from our vet that covers heart worm, fleas, ticks, etc.
I totally agree as well. You need to treat EVERYTHING (pet, home, yard) simultaneously multiple times before you get those nasty pests gone. It's really painful. Another recommendation - after you vacuum and empty the contents outside, use a flea repellant spray on your vacuum cleaner. The fleas will live in the dust/dirt left in the vacuum as well.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:30 AM

We use Frontline Plus for dogs, monthly. So far, it works. Puppy came with fleas, two months ago. Put the Frontline on, and within a few hours, they were gone and no more itching. That is the good news. The bad news is that it is VERY PRICEY!!! It was cheapest at our local Target. It came in a 3 dose package, so it runs about $20 per month, but worth every penny, if we have no fleas on puppy or in house/yard. Our winter was so mild, it did not kill any bugs or pests, so we will continue this treatment, as long as it works. Good luck!!!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:26 PM

yes wash the dog with it/
Old 04-07-2012, 03:34 PM

we have used dawn for years now and its really the only thing we have found that worked.we have made the light s and pie pan flea and dawn in it at night, they work too. watch how much vinagar you give the dog because we had one that stop drinking and then we had to get himto drs. so they could get fluids in him. just be careful of the vinagar. sticker tape works too. mothballs and cedar chips in bedding helps too.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 AM

Something to try to save money is to buy the Frontline/Advantage in the largest dog weight possible.
I get the one for dogs 89-132 lbs and can get 3 or 4 doses from one little container/vial for my 22 lb dog so can get a year out of the box.
I had a small syringe that I could suck up 1 cc/ml dose but if you know a diabetic you could get a syringe from them.
Suck it up with the needle on then take off the needle and put the med on the dog.
Saves a bundle!
Each vial contains 4 ml/cc.
For dog 11-22lb use .67 ml/cc
23-44 use 1.34 ml/cc
45-88 use 2.68 ml/cc
89/132 use 4.02 cc or the whole thing.
just round it off.
HTH