Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new machine ?

I so want a new machine, but being on disability I just can't afford anything like I would like. I have an old Brother plain jane. Well I spotted a machine I would like to have, mainly because it can do so much more than mine. It is a Singer Quantum 9910. Any opinions on it. I am bidding on it at auction. the auction ends on the 3rd. Says in good running condition. How much would you pay?

Blog Entries
    Personally, I would not buy a newer Singer. There are so many great machines out there.

Have you used the search feature above to see if there've been any threads on it?

I have all old machines, and I am quite happy with them. I hear that the older ones stitch straighter.

i have to ask when you all say that you won't use a singer what about the feather weight you want

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love old Singers but would not buy a newer one. I've heard nothing but horror stories.

Blog Entries
    Carhop, the FWs were made before Singer went to so many plastic parts.

Timepasser, if you only want a machine for quilting, no fancy stitches, start scouring ebay for a 301, 401 or 501. They are metal machines and pretty tough. My 301 doesn't not zigzag, but I think the other two do. FWs are pricey, but the others can still be found at a good price. Go to the vintage forum and read about the other older machines. I think a 15 is a full size one that works well, usually.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carhop
    i have to ask when you all say that you won't use a singer what about the feather weight you want
    I don't have a fw, but I have an older singer which is a great machine. I also have a singer which is about 6 years old. I love the old one and it is a super machine, the newer one has been used about 4 or 5 times and is a piece of junk. Maybe it is a lemon, who knows... I won't buy another new to find out...

I also wouldn't buy a new Singer, I would go to a dealer and see what they have in possible trade-ins on a possible higher end machine at a much affordable price versus if you were to buy the machine new.

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I love old Singers but would not buy a newer one. I've heard nothing but horror stories.
    Ditto

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast