Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
New title: Emergency Response Support Provider >

New title: Emergency Response Support Provider

New title: Emergency Response Support Provider

Old 08-16-2015, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

It is not lazy, it is creative. Cute panel too!
peace
Old 08-16-2015, 07:30 AM

WOW. You go girl and your workhorse Pfaff too. I have the 1475CD and they are wonderful. When you call on them, they and do almost anything we ask. Have not used mine for the wonderful work yours has done, but have used to make costumes for actors (had to make a Kevlar vest for a movie extra), was lucky in I got to put all the goodies on before the Kevlar and metal plates went in. You sound like a gal for all seasons with a machine for all seasons too. Good job, your family is very lucky.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Great work! Awesome that you have all those supplies on hand. Sometimes it takes a while to acquire all of them.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Great! I am always modifying my DH's hunting vests and jackets for his gear. He can find one more strap or one more pocket he needs.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:22 PM

Great job! I know the feeling. I am married to a retired cop and used to make modifications or bags for him.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:36 PM

My younger brother is a Fireman in California. He carries his gear in his car because he works at a auto glass shop also.
He said they can only wash their gear at the fire station. The washers have special filters on them to keep the chemicals they use to fight fires as well as any contaminants they might come into contact with.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cherokeequilter View Post
Over the years as a military wife & mother, I have repaired, sewn & invented all types of adaptions for my Army husband & sons. Last night I again gained a new title. Our son is a member of a Police Department First Response Team & the team Paramedic provider. This requires that they use safety vests with tons of equipment attached in pockets. Unfortunately, sometimes additional straps, flaps, pockets are needed to be invented & added. So a call comes out to Mom and her great collection of materials, sewing machines & creativity.

No one said things like "Wow, why would you want to buy that" or "Do you really need to store any more elastic, Velcro, thread and stuff?" Now I am the really cool lady and all those sewing machines are something to be admired. Out came the size 18 needle, upholstery thread, sew-in Velcro, super wide black elastic, super heavy Pellon iron-in stabilizer, and my Pfaff 7570 machine. New inserts for the back brace got made and 12" extensions for securing the entire vest were invented. The real trick is sewing all these together and then attaching them to existing material without hitting the Kevlar or metal rifle plate in the vest. Did I mention that that I needed to sew through three layers of nylon binding already along the edges? Two layers of wide Elastic and both side pieces of the velcro.........one slow stitch at a time. WORKS GREAT & KEEPS ANOTHER SPECIAL PERSON SAFE! Now along with my art quilt ribbons will hang a First Responders' Support Patch. Never can anyone ask me why I am buying things again or why I need 6 sewing machines!! Quilters are always ready to in a time of need!
Wonderful to hear there are other " sewing McGiver" types out there. Nice work! I have altered furniture covers, car seat covers, ironing board covers, and even made speaker mounts for friend's classic '79 El Camino!
Old 08-16-2015, 04:41 PM

Congratulations and well done for being such a creative, clever and giving mom!! And for helping make these heroes jobs easier/safer/better. I selfishly confess, when i am the go to for odd requests from my grown daughter, DSIL or son or DDIL - or the grand-daughters - it makes me feel WONDERFUL inside to be able to meet the challenge.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

I admit that's one of the strangest requests I have heard. My new SIL belong to the Fire Brigade in Sydney, Australia, and has been a member for many years. Now my daughter is taking the tests to belong to the same Fire Brigade, although she is not strong enough to serve on the front lines, being more of a back-up coordinator position. I hope she doesn't plan on me sewing on the patches, I think she's earned the right to put on her own; but we'll see. Just like sewing on Brownie and Girl Scout batches to her vest. The things parents do for their kids.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:17 PM

I read your story to my husband, and his comment was, "I'd like to meet that gal." I agreed.