Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Subject lines---would anyone else find them to be more helpful if they were longer such as the one I'm posting now? I'm continuing to type here in the subject line just to give us all a feel for how much room we have on a title line for a new topic.

I'm not advocating a subject line as long as the one I used here! I just did it to test the character capacity our title line.

But...would anyone else appreciate posters beginning their threads with...well, 'meatier', subject lines?

We have such a large, active forum that I feel that I'm missing posts I might want to view at times. Sometimes the title for the post is just too vague and I skip over the thread for one where I have a better idea of the content. At other times (when I have more time) I do read a thread with a very short title and am so glad I did.

I like the short sharp ones as I am curious to see what it is about.

Same here! A little bit more about the topic would be nice on some of the subjects!

Blog Entries
    Yes, and there are so many pictures being posted that I would like to know what the picture is before I go there. I used to open every topic in Unread Topics, but I really need to get some things done.

Blog Entries
    I was just thinking this the other day!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    AHhhhhh but sometimes the titles make us curious and we have to go in. Better titles is good when they are vague like....Do you? or IS this???? WE all have our own ways but might get more lookers if we did. Good post.

Blog Entries
    I like to know what's in the thread by reading the subject line, so I'm all for a subject line that's a little longer.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by olmphoto2
    Sometimes the title for the post is just too vague and I skip over the thread for one where I have a better idea of the content.
    I feel your pain.

As the title is totally user controlled, the length isn't going to make anyone be more coherent or specific - if they're not doing it now.

Sort of like seeing yet another thread with the title of "What is OBW?"
    I certainly understand someone not knowing what OBW is short for.
    Fine.
    I have no patience, however, for not bothering to to use the "search" function.
    Because, really, if someone found their way to this board (any board), managed to figure out how to register, and how to start a thread, then knowing that the SEARCH function exists isn't an unreasonable expectation.
    ;-)

It is what it is. :roll:

I try to respond to all, as I know everyone likes to feel important. Or is made to feel good when we take a look at what they made. (I try) makes no difference if post is long or short.

I agree, we should do better with this!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I'm guilty of it too. I'm trying to be more specific. But I have to say that sometimes the vague ones intrigue me!! lol

I prefer short and to the point because it enables me to skip a topic I know doesn't relate to my interests or I will have no input into. Example: I'm no help with a machine I'm not familiar with so would skip that post.

I just wish everyone would title their posts in such a way that we could do a search and find their post later.

"Batik DP9" is a better title than "Look at my batik DP9"

"Question" is not a good title. "I have a question" is not a good title. "Look at my new toy" is not a good title.

"Mitered corners..need help" is a good title

"Featherweight..my new toy" is a good title

Our search function would be more useful if the titles had some meaning.

One last thing...please when you post a picture of your quilt, include the name of the pattern or even post a link to the pattern to avoid pages and pages of people asking "What pattern did you use?"

Okay, I must be cranky..so I'll stop now. :roll:

Janet. I agree with you, but I almost never check chit-chat and today I found this. I want quilt talk. I don't think you are cranky. lol

I do like titles that are specific; whether long or short, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by olmphoto2
    Sometimes the title for the post is just too vague and I skip over the thread for one where I have a better idea of the content.
    I feel your pain.

As the title is totally user controlled, the length isn't going to make anyone be more coherent or specific - if they're not doing it now.

Sort of like seeing yet another thread with the title of "What is OBW?"
    I certainly understand someone not knowing what OBW is short for.
    Fine.
    I have no patience, however, for not bothering to to use the "search" function.
    Because, really, if someone found their way to this board (any board), managed to figure out how to register, and how to start a thread, then knowing that the SEARCH function exists isn't an unreasonable expectation.
    ;-)

It is what it is. :roll:

Doing a search for OBW gives you every mention of the term OBW, Since everyone on here used the abbreviated term OBW. A new user digging through SEVERAL posts to find the ONE somewhat new post that defines the term is daunting.
    I know, I was one of those people who had to ask.
    There are more posts with the abbreviations than there are posts defining them.

I like to read the subject matter in the title. Then you have a reference if you want to watch or bookmark it for later. I have started skipping most of the ones that I can't tell what they are referring to because so many of them either don't pertain to my interest and/or are taking too much time on the board reading them all. I guess I'm just not as curious as I used to be.

Blog Entries
    You stated this very well. Very good suggestions. It would help us all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    I just wish everyone would title their posts in such a way that we could do a search and find their post later.

"Question" is not a good title. "I have a question" is not a good title. "Look at my new toy" is not a good title.

One last thing...please when you post a picture of your quilt, include the name of the pattern or even post a link to the pattern to avoid pages and pages of people asking "What pattern did you use?"

Blog Entries
    I don't think it would be bad if there were a few longer titles now and then, but if everyone started doing them, I think it would become confusing to find things that you are interested in.

Blog Entries
    I would love to see a drop down menu for each section of the home page and search function, applicable to each subject. In pictures for instance it could be--- SUBJECT----
    Quilts-
    wallhanging
    bed
    doll
    misc.
    craft
    blank/other( insert your own)
    ---STYLE----
    modern
    contemporary
    traditional
    art
    Patriotic
    memory
    other
    ----Pattern---
    Scrappy
    obw
    d9p
    dresden
    other
    ---Type---
    hand
    machine
    LA
    Tying
    other
    So if I were looking for or wanted to post my Scrappy Trip Around the World it could easily be found And you would also still have the option of writing your own title or a combo of both
    I think it would make the search feature easier to use. Sometimes I forget to bookmark and can't remember the title and try the search button to no avail and when I do run across it again the title is not what I remembered. Do you think something like this would be possible? :D I am trying to be more descriptive in my titles also :lol: :D

Ditto to everything you said. One other thing I find really annoying is when someone posts that they're searching for a specific pattern or fabric and people respond that they DON'T have it. Why bother posting that?

Yes, that would be helpful. Good suggestion! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantduster
    You stated this very well. Very good suggestions. It would help us all.

One last thing...please when you post a picture of your quilt, include the name of the pattern or even post a link to the pattern to avoid pages and pages of people asking "What pattern did you use?" This is a great suggestion! I often wonder what pattern was used and where it can be found. You're not cranky.

:thumbup: :-)

I prefer shorter ones with a hint as to what is actually in the post. I do not appreciate the 'gotcha to look' ones that I am really not interested in...nor the lenghty starred ones. I spend to much time on my computer, anyway, and generally only open those that appear to interest me. Likewise, if I do open one and discover I am not interested in it, I just close it and go on.

yes, more specific PLEASE. "looking for" does not tell me much. And please if you are discussing something topical and timely (gas prices, Hoarding TV show, snow storm,) why not check the first couple of pages and see if someone else has already started a topic on it? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast