Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 63

Thread: Subject lines---would anyone else find them to be more helpful if they were longer such as the one I'm posting now? I'm continuing to type here in the subject line just to give us all a feel for how much room we have on a title line for a new topic.

  1. #1
    Super Member olmphoto2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, South Central
    Posts
    1,037
    I'm not advocating a subject line as long as the one I used here! I just did it to test the character capacity our title line.

    But...would anyone else appreciate posters beginning their threads with...well, 'meatier', subject lines?

    We have such a large, active forum that I feel that I'm missing posts I might want to view at times. Sometimes the title for the post is just too vague and I skip over the thread for one where I have a better idea of the content. At other times (when I have more time) I do read a thread with a very short title and am so glad I did.

  2. #2
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035
    I like the short sharp ones as I am curious to see what it is about.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    461
    Same here! A little bit more about the topic would be nice on some of the subjects!

  4. #4
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    Yes, and there are so many pictures being posted that I would like to know what the picture is before I go there. I used to open every topic in Unread Topics, but I really need to get some things done.

  5. #5
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    I was just thinking this the other day!

  6. #6
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    36
    AHhhhhh but sometimes the titles make us curious and we have to go in. Better titles is good when they are vague like....Do you? or IS this???? WE all have our own ways but might get more lookers if we did. Good post.

  7. #7
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like to know what's in the thread by reading the subject line, so I'm all for a subject line that's a little longer.

  8. #8
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by olmphoto2
    Sometimes the title for the post is just too vague and I skip over the thread for one where I have a better idea of the content.
    I feel your pain.

    As the title is totally user controlled, the length isn't going to make anyone be more coherent or specific - if they're not doing it now.

    Sort of like seeing yet another thread with the title of "What is OBW?"
    I certainly understand someone not knowing what OBW is short for.
    Fine.
    I have no patience, however, for not bothering to to use the "search" function.
    Because, really, if someone found their way to this board (any board), managed to figure out how to register, and how to start a thread, then knowing that the SEARCH function exists isn't an unreasonable expectation.
    ;-)

    It is what it is. :roll:

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Silver Springs, NV
    Posts
    2,665
    I try to respond to all, as I know everyone likes to feel important. Or is made to feel good when we take a look at what they made. (I try) makes no difference if post is long or short.

  10. #10
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    I agree, we should do better with this!

  11. #11
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    I'm guilty of it too. I'm trying to be more specific. But I have to say that sometimes the vague ones intrigue me!! lol

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Roswell, NM
    Posts
    1,636
    I prefer short and to the point because it enables me to skip a topic I know doesn't relate to my interests or I will have no input into. Example: I'm no help with a machine I'm not familiar with so would skip that post.

  13. #13
    Super Member JanetM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At my LQS
    Posts
    2,355
    I just wish everyone would title their posts in such a way that we could do a search and find their post later.

    "Batik DP9" is a better title than "Look at my batik DP9"

    "Question" is not a good title. "I have a question" is not a good title. "Look at my new toy" is not a good title.

    "Mitered corners..need help" is a good title

    "Featherweight..my new toy" is a good title

    Our search function would be more useful if the titles had some meaning.

    One last thing...please when you post a picture of your quilt, include the name of the pattern or even post a link to the pattern to avoid pages and pages of people asking "What pattern did you use?"

    Okay, I must be cranky..so I'll stop now. :roll:

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    722
    Janet. I agree with you, but I almost never check chit-chat and today I found this. I want quilt talk. I don't think you are cranky. lol

  15. #15
    Super Member lynnsim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,506
    I do like titles that are specific; whether long or short, doesn't matter.

  16. #16
    Super Member CloverPatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    1,259
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by olmphoto2
    Sometimes the title for the post is just too vague and I skip over the thread for one where I have a better idea of the content.
    I feel your pain.

    As the title is totally user controlled, the length isn't going to make anyone be more coherent or specific - if they're not doing it now.

    Sort of like seeing yet another thread with the title of "What is OBW?"
    I certainly understand someone not knowing what OBW is short for.
    Fine.
    I have no patience, however, for not bothering to to use the "search" function.
    Because, really, if someone found their way to this board (any board), managed to figure out how to register, and how to start a thread, then knowing that the SEARCH function exists isn't an unreasonable expectation.
    ;-)

    It is what it is. :roll:

    Doing a search for OBW gives you every mention of the term OBW, Since everyone on here used the abbreviated term OBW. A new user digging through SEVERAL posts to find the ONE somewhat new post that defines the term is daunting.
    I know, I was one of those people who had to ask.
    There are more posts with the abbreviations than there are posts defining them.

  17. #17
    Super Member Minnesewta-sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,563
    I like to read the subject matter in the title. Then you have a reference if you want to watch or bookmark it for later. I have started skipping most of the ones that I can't tell what they are referring to because so many of them either don't pertain to my interest and/or are taking too much time on the board reading them all. I guess I'm just not as curious as I used to be.

  18. #18
    Senior Member pheasantduster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    420
    Blog Entries
    1
    You stated this very well. Very good suggestions. It would help us all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    I just wish everyone would title their posts in such a way that we could do a search and find their post later.

    "Batik DP9" is a better title than "Look at my batik DP9"

    "Question" is not a good title. "I have a question" is not a good title. "Look at my new toy" is not a good title.

    "Mitered corners..need help" is a good title

    "Featherweight..my new toy" is a good title

    Our search function would be more useful if the titles had some meaning.

    One last thing...please when you post a picture of your quilt, include the name of the pattern or even post a link to the pattern to avoid pages and pages of people asking "What pattern did you use?"

    Okay, I must be cranky..so I'll stop now. :roll:

  19. #19
    Super Member DebsShelties's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,856
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't think it would be bad if there were a few longer titles now and then, but if everyone started doing them, I think it would become confusing to find things that you are interested in.

  20. #20
    Super Member amazon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,615
    Blog Entries
    4
    I would love to see a drop down menu for each section of the home page and search function, applicable to each subject. In pictures for instance it could be--- SUBJECT----
    Quilts-
    wallhanging
    bed
    doll
    misc.
    craft
    blank/other( insert your own)
    ---STYLE----
    modern
    contemporary
    traditional
    art
    Patriotic
    memory
    other
    ----Pattern---
    Scrappy
    obw
    d9p
    dresden
    other
    ---Type---
    hand
    machine
    LA
    Tying
    other
    So if I were looking for or wanted to post my Scrappy Trip Around the World it could easily be found And you would also still have the option of writing your own title or a combo of both
    I think it would make the search feature easier to use. Sometimes I forget to bookmark and can't remember the title and try the search button to no avail and when I do run across it again the title is not what I remembered. Do you think something like this would be possible? :D I am trying to be more descriptive in my titles also :lol: :D

  21. #21
    Super Member twistedstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    I just wish everyone would title their posts in such a way that we could do a search and find their post later.

    "Batik DP9" is a better title than "Look at my batik DP9"

    "Question" is not a good title. "I have a question" is not a good title. "Look at my new toy" is not a good title.

    "Mitered corners..need help" is a good title

    "Featherweight..my new toy" is a good title

    Our search function would be more useful if the titles had some meaning.

    One last thing...please when you post a picture of your quilt, include the name of the pattern or even post a link to the pattern to avoid pages and pages of people asking "What pattern did you use?"

    Okay, I must be cranky..so I'll stop now. :roll:
    Ditto to everything you said. One other thing I find really annoying is when someone posts that they're searching for a specific pattern or fabric and people respond that they DON'T have it. Why bother posting that?

  22. #22
    Junior Member Heid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finger Lakes
    Posts
    179
    Yes, that would be helpful. Good suggestion! :thumbup:

  23. #23
    Junior Member Heid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finger Lakes
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by pheasantduster
    You stated this very well. Very good suggestions. It would help us all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    I just wish everyone would title their posts in such a way that we could do a search and find their post later.

    "Batik DP9" is a better title than "Look at my batik DP9"

    "Question" is not a good title. "I have a question" is not a good title. "Look at my new toy" is not a good title.

    "Mitered corners..need help" is a good title

    "Featherweight..my new toy" is a good title

    Our search function would be more useful if the titles had some meaning.

    One last thing...please when you post a picture of your quilt, include the name of the pattern or even post a link to the pattern to avoid pages and pages of people asking "What pattern did you use?" This is a great suggestion! I often wonder what pattern was used and where it can be found. You're not cranky.

    Okay, I must be cranky..so I'll stop now. :roll:
    :thumbup: :-)

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    central Indiana
    Posts
    1,164
    I prefer shorter ones with a hint as to what is actually in the post. I do not appreciate the 'gotcha to look' ones that I am really not interested in...nor the lenghty starred ones. I spend to much time on my computer, anyway, and generally only open those that appear to interest me. Likewise, if I do open one and discover I am not interested in it, I just close it and go on.

  25. #25
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,895
    yes, more specific PLEASE. "looking for" does not tell me much. And please if you are discussing something topical and timely (gas prices, Hoarding TV show, snow storm,) why not check the first couple of pages and see if someone else has already started a topic on it? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.