Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Subject lines---would anyone else find them to be more helpful if they were longer such as the one I'm posting now? I'm continuing to type here in the subject line just to give us all a feel for how much room we have on a title line for a new topic. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/subject-lines-would-anyone-else-find-them-more-helpful-if-they-were-longer-such-one-im-posting-now-im-continuing-type-here-subject-line-just-give-us-all-feel-how-much-room-we-have-title-line-new-topic-t103557.html)

olmphoto2 02-27-2011 10:54 AM

I'm not advocating a subject line as long as the one I used here! I just did it to test the character capacity our title line.

But...would anyone else appreciate posters beginning their threads with...well, 'meatier', subject lines?

We have such a large, active forum that I feel that I'm missing posts I might want to view at times. Sometimes the title for the post is just too vague and I skip over the thread for one where I have a better idea of the content. At other times (when I have more time) I do read a thread with a very short title and am so glad I did.

QultingaddictUK 02-27-2011 10:59 AM

I like the short sharp ones as I am curious to see what it is about.

Ginger2010 02-27-2011 11:00 AM

Same here! A little bit more about the topic would be nice on some of the subjects!

Sadiemae 02-27-2011 11:01 AM

Yes, and there are so many pictures being posted that I would like to know what the picture is before I go there. I used to open every topic in Unread Topics, but I really need to get some things done.

virtualbernie 02-27-2011 11:02 AM

I was just thinking this the other day!

debbieumphress 02-27-2011 11:04 AM

AHhhhhh but sometimes the titles make us curious and we have to go in. Better titles is good when they are vague like....Do you? or IS this???? WE all have our own ways but might get more lookers if we did. Good post.

Quilter7x 02-27-2011 11:05 AM

I like to know what's in the thread by reading the subject line, so I'm all for a subject line that's a little longer.

MTS 02-27-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by olmphoto2
Sometimes the title for the post is just too vague and I skip over the thread for one where I have a better idea of the content.

I feel your pain.

As the title is totally user controlled, the length isn't going to make anyone be more coherent or specific - if they're not doing it now.

Sort of like seeing yet another thread with the title of "What is OBW?"
I certainly understand someone not knowing what OBW is short for.
Fine.
I have no patience, however, for not bothering to to use the "search" function.
Because, really, if someone found their way to this board (any board), managed to figure out how to register, and how to start a thread, then knowing that the SEARCH function exists isn't an unreasonable expectation.
<rant off> ;-)

It is what it is. :roll:

cheryl rearick 02-27-2011 11:13 AM

I try to respond to all, as I know everyone likes to feel important. Or is made to feel good when we take a look at what they made. (I try) makes no difference if post is long or short.

Candace 02-27-2011 11:21 AM

I agree, we should do better with this!