Nook vs. Kindle

Old 11-29-2010, 10:26 AM

I need ya'lls help...Which one do you have or know that is better and why? And can you download college books on them instead of having to buy the books?

Thank you for your help,
Mish :0)
Old 11-29-2010, 10:28 AM

If you don't mind I'm going to track this too, I want to get my granddaughter an ebook for Christmas
Old 11-29-2010, 10:42 AM

I have the Pandigital ereader that ties to B&N to get books. I like it better, #1 it's in color, #2 it has a USB connector, #3 it takes a 32GB flash card, #4 goes shopping on the internet and gets my email. I could go on and on but its price is great $149.99
Here is a comparison
http://ebook-reader-review.toptenreviews.com/
Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 AM

I have a Nook and love it. It now comes in color, you can add memory to it, listen to your music, download books, etc. Nook now has shelves where you can put your categorize your books and shelve them. There is a way that you can access the internet also, tho I don't do that.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 AM
JJs
Banned

sounds like some of the 'books' are turning into computers..
I put Kindle for PCs (free at Amazon) on my netbook - and that's a computer that guess what? gets on the internet, downloads the books, has lots of memory etc etc...

I also picked up a Sony Reader at WM on Friday (they are still the same price) for $99 - it doesn't do any of that other stuff - it's - tada - a READER... it does hook to the computer by USB

It reads epub, txt, rtf, pdf and doc files....
There are a gazillion free books on the internet.... and so far that's all I have on either one - haven't bought any just for that (yet)

If you don't get one with wi-fi or 3g then you will have to connect it to the computer to transfer the books (like the Reader)

I'm wondering how many people bought the Sony Reader not realizing that it does have to connect to a computer that IS connected to the internet in order to get books?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 AM

I downloaded both the nook and the kindle on my mini laptop and there are pros and cons to both. They are free and since I've not actually seen either actual readers working I'm happy with what I have. I like reading on the mini because I can adjust the screen and balance it on my lap and do not have to hold it, then my hands do not get tired.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 PM

my daughter gave me a nook, but have, so far, only loaded my pdf patterns , knitting and crocheting, in it. it's really great for that.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:07 PM

Interesting topic.. something I need more information on as well.. I'll be watching to see what others say about their electonic gadgets..
Old 11-29-2010, 10:12 PM

Good information I will want to read all the comments to help me make the decision on which one would be the right one for me.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 PM

Some college texts are available for both formats.

One thing that might influence your decision libraries. Some libraries, both college and local, have started rentals of e-books. You download a book from their site for a small fee. The book stays in your reader for 2 weeks and then is gone. You must have the type of reader that is compatible with the books your library rents.