Kindle or Nook

Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 AM

My son will be going to overseas soon and his birthday will be next week. I am going to get him one of these. Which do you think is best? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Banned

I use the kindle that was a free download on my computer and I love it. I was also able to add the kindle to my cell phone as an app and I also love it. I know this may not answer some of your questions but I love the easiness of the kindle.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:47 AM

I have the Nook because it was a Christmas present. Before that, I'd done some research and was torn between the two. Now that I have the Nook, I love it and, several Kindle owners have commented that they like their Kindle but really like the electronic keypad on the Nook vs. the button keypad on the kindle.

That said, there are a couple of things that have bothered me about Barnes & Noble, not the Nook, per se. The Nook was $250 last Fall but, six months later, is now $150. That irks me even though I know its all marketing.

The biggest gripe I have is they advertised that most books will be less than $10 and they were, for a short time. Now, the most popular authors, who were sold at $9.99 in January, are now at $12 and up. I knew that this would eventually happen, once B&N built a market, but this is a BIG jump in price, more so than I would expect in the price of paperbacks. Guess the same thing could/can happen at Amazon.com but it still irks me.

Bottom line, I love the Nook and the whole idea of an eReader because I travel a lot and, being a prolific reader, I've literally run out of space to store books. Hope your son enjoys his present!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 PM

My daughter recently bought the Nook after MUCH comparison shopping by her husband. I love him, he's such a geek. LOL
Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Banned

I buy a lot of Kindle books for $3.99, rarely more than $6.99, and occasionally they've been $8.99. I have yet to see one priced higher than that though. Are all the Nook books that expensive? That would be a deciding factor for me right there!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

If you get a nook or ereader you can download books from most libraries now FREE but not so with the kindle...look into what is available thru your library before deciding..you downoad them to your computer then transfer them to the reader
Old 07-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

THere are a ton of free books available for the Kindle. Including quite a few from Amazon directly, but also from many other sites.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
I buy a lot of Kindle books for $3.99, rarely more than $6.99, and occasionally they've been $8.99. I have yet to see one priced higher than that though. Are all the Nook books that expensive? That would be a deciding factor for me right there!
No, not all of them are that expensive, just new releases from popular authors. There are certainly a lot of books for under $10 and tons of freebies but not usually the books I want to read.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Kindle. My hubby bought me one for Christmas last year. I have about 125 books on it and have only paid for 1. They haver a really good free selection.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:02 PM

Cost is a product of marketing, true, but also supply and demand. As newer and greater come out on the market, costs drop dramatically on products that have already been out for consumption.

I've got to say although I'm not a big Apple fan the IPAD is getting to look better and better. I hate that it is connected to a service and hope that will be rectified at some point. I have a feeling (well more than, but I can't be real specific) that there will be competitors to follow on the color format. I sat at a meeting where a group of people just happened to have many of these devices and was most impressed with the Apple (those who know me well will know how hard that was to say).

I am a bibliophile and really like to have a paper book in hand, nothing else really does it for me, but going to a color format opens up media possibilities that I might consider (magazines, newspapers, etc.) that I might not otherwise consider buying. I hate just having B/W displays when technology is so much more advanced than that. My GPS is in color why not one of these?